ball position when using wedges???

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
towards front foot for added height. during winter i have to hit all my irons off the front foot or i hit everything fat with the soft ground. more of a sweeping motion that a strike this time of year.

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The ball needs to be back in your stance. That's for lob shots and pitch shots.

With pitch shots your hands need to be in-line with your left leg and your weight needs to be around 70% on your left leg.

For lob shots, your weight needs to be 60%-70% on your right foot/

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the ball is towards the front foot, surely this will promote 'thinning' the ball as you're more likely to catch it on the upswing?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Depends what Kind of shot I'm looking to play.

Regular pitch, mid stance, weight forward.

If I want to get the ball up quickly, I play it forward in my stance.

The only real time I play the ball off the back foot, essentially de-lofting the club, is green side when I want to hit a little bump and run or try and get a little check.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Depends what Kind of shot I'm looking to play.

Regular pitch, mid stance, weight forward.

If I want to get the ball up quickly, I play it forward in my stance.

The only real time I play the ball off the back foot, essentially de-lofting the club, is green side when I want to hit a little bump and run or try and get a little check.

this sounds about right. although sometimes i do punch some wedge shots (back in stance) in if the wind is up. i cant play these until the course drys up. its like a bog at the minute.

when i say forward i dont mean off the front foot. just moved closer to than center.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The ball needs to be back in your stance. That's for lob shots and pitch shots.

With pitch shots your hands need to be in-line with your left leg and your weight needs to be around 70% on your left leg.

For lob shots, your weight needs to be 60%-70% on your right foot/

So for lob shots you want the ball back in your stance and your weight mostly on your back foot?
And for a pitch shot you want the ball back in your stance and the weight mostly on your front foot?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
played on friday and today. for my wedge shots i have been standing with my feet close together (just a couple of inches apart) and have found my wedge shots to be alot more accurate. this promotes a proper shoulder turn.

wide stance and ball forward for a lob shot! played a beauty today :)

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Back foot is too hard to pull off consistently. As per the Vokey advice mentioned above, you have to catch it perfectly to stop the leading edge digging into the turf. Yes it can look great when you get it right occasionally, but the percentage shot is mid stance and let the bounce on the club be your friend and do its job.

In my opinion :)