Ball position when putting

My Putting is up and down more times than a wh*res drawers, mishits, pulls etc nothing ever feels like it hits the sweetspot, it's more of a clunk if you get me, tried ball position dropped from bridge of nose, front foot ( hated that one) back foot (comfortable but still not the sweetspot) further away from me (felt better but inconsistent) , flat putter with hands high, toe in air with hands low, feet open,closed, wide, narrow...............Aaaaaaaaaaarggghhh!

Need back to basics and simple, anyone had pro advice with this kind of issue.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I was told

Ball below eyes, slightly ( IE 1 ball width or thereabouts ) forward of centre, with your hands in front of the putterhead.

HTH

:)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It doesn't sound like a ball position problem to me.
It sounds as if your body is moving or your arms are moving away from your body.
Do you bend your arms at address or do they hang down naturally.
What's your h/cap?

It sounds as if your body is moving or your arms are moving away from your body.
What's your h/cap?

Think you could be spot on Bob, had a feeling for awhile that the arms are independent from the shoulders/body, if I concentrate on moving shoulders instead of arms I don't have any 'feel'. Had the putter shortened to hang arms with a slight bend but I'm so inconsistent and can't attack any putts just now, appreciate your help. H/cap is 3.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What's your h/cap?

Think you could be spot on Bob, had a feeling for awhile that the arms are independent from the shoulders/body, if I concentrate on moving shoulders instead of arms I don't have any 'feel'. Had the putter shortened to hang arms with a slight bend but I'm so inconsistent and can't attack any putts just now, appreciate your help. H/cap is 3.

Blame the tools !!!

If your putting is that bad and you play off 3, the rest of your game must be amazing!!

thanks, not amazing just good, and the example I gave of my putting woes are on a bad day, but on that day I could be missing 2 foot putts for birdies or 6 foot putts for par that dont even go near the hole- did the first 11 tee to green in regulation 2 weeks ago but was 4 over par, not good enough and that puts pressure on the mid to short game- I think a putter change and lots of practice is the way forward

Tuck a golf glove under each armpit and hold them in place while you putt

tried that at the weekend but felt very restrictive and felt like I was hindering the shoulder 'rock' into something more rounded and no feel..........thanks for the tip though but difficult to do it via the web.

Do you stand quite tall to the ball or are you more bent over with your eyes over the ball?

More bent...................erm think I'll rephrase that :eek:
Stooped over with 32" putter and ball usually just outside eye line

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If the ball is outside your eyeline, that would account for the feeling of your shoulders turning.
Try this...
Hold the grip further down until the ball is below your eyeline. Place the gloves in between your elbows and stomach and keep them there during the stroke.
Failing that, I'd need to see your putting stroke on video.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had very similar problem along with trouble squaring my shoulders. Changed grip to left hand down (like Harrington), ball mid stance, eyes directly above ball and a 34" putter. Now averaging 1.75 putts.