Ball position at address

rob39

Visit site
Hi all
When addressing the ball,where should the ball be in relation to the stance.?
Just watch Leadbetter state having the ball opposite the left arm pit and just alter the width of the stance by moving the right leg.
Butch Harman stated having the ball opposite the left breast area?

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think its always easier to describe where the ball should be in relation to your feet.

The basic rule is the longer the club the nearer the inside of your left heal it should be assuming you are R/H. So for longer clubs that you want to sweep away (no divot) have them forward. Then they move back progressively to the middle of your stance for the wedges. You then come in much steeper, encouraging a divot.

Putting is different and advice varies between off the front foot and the middle. I use the middle as it encourages my hands to be ahead. However experiment as the importance is to get a smooth role initially and not have the ball jump.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I use the middle as it encourages my hands to be ahead. However experiment as the importance is to get a smooth role initially and not have the ball jump.

I would be wary about having your hands ahead, I'm assuming you mean at impact.
This will deloft the putter which can make the ball skid and/or jump.
I personally prefer the ball 1-2 inches forward of centre for putting

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Someone (qualified) once said to me. "There are only two clubs where you want to catch the ball on the up.....your longest and your shortest".

I'd love to comment on this, but it's in the wrong forum. :eek: