Ball Plugged in its pitchmark

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Par 3 in medal this weekend; ball lands 1 yard off fringe into the light rough, and plugs; only top half visible.
Managed to stab it a yard forward out of the rough, where it then sat down in a deep (unrepaired) pitch mark on the fringe, whereupon i again could only stab the ball forward a couple of yards this time.

I know i wasnt allowed relief from the one plugged in the rough - i didnt think i was allowed relief off the fringe either so played as it lied ? Was i right ?

More importantly (well to me at least, as this cost me a cut back down to single figures) do we think it is right that you cant get relief from a plugged ball, even in rough ? I presume the difficulty in ruogh is proving that it is - on a fairway you can reasonably see the bottom of the ball (ish) ?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you playing winter rules it's pick and place from any area of mown grass, that would normally include the fringe.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
You may lift, clean and drop a ball plugged in a closely mown area: Rule 25-2 - Embedded Ball

"A ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green. “Closely-mown area” means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less."

Sometimes local winter rules allow this in the rough as well.

I too once suffered as a result of a ball plugged in the rough and next time I think I'll just declare it unplayable as I barely moved it a few inches anyway.

Bash

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you playing winter rules it's pick and place from any area of mown grass, that would normally include the fringe.

Winter rules I understood to be pick (and clean) and place on the FAIRWAY (not the fringe).
Also, if a ball is plugged in the rough it may be marked, and dropped (but not cleaned)

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I'm sure I saw one of the pro's get relief from a ball that had only broke the surface of the grass slightly last week. That was in the first cut of rough, and he called a ref for a decision, may have been a local ruling?????

Any body else see it???

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
]"A ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty

His next shot landed in what was not his own pitchmark so relief would only be available if Winter Rules were in force.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Practice the shot you can play a deliberate fat on these occasions and actually get it to come out relatively softly. I can remember seeing a video with Seve playing this shot (just as a demo edit; pros would usually get relief on any embedded ball thorough the green as some rules are different for pros and amateurs).

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our preferred lies are on and are "through the green" - happy days and no stupid big holes from people attempting the above shots on plugged balls.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sev, just realised that the ball wasn't embedded in it's own pitchmark when you got it to the fringe. If it was winter rules (which I assume it was) you're OK to lift it, but you'd have to play it as it lies or declare it unplayable if winter rules weren't in place.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Winter rules I understood to be pick (and clean) and place on the FAIRWAY (not the fringe).
Also, if a ball is plugged in the rough it may be marked, and dropped (but not cleaned)

The specimen local rule for Winter Rules states close mown areas - i.e cut to fairway length or lower. I suspect the fringe may be so cut.

The specimen rule for relief for an embedded ball through the green does allow it to be cleaned when lifted.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
another stupid rule that your ball is plugged in rough and you have to play it as it lies, its in the rough, surely thats penalty enough.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
another stupid rule that your ball is plugged in rough and you have to play it as it lies, its in the rough, surely thats penalty enough.

If your club's playing conditions are such that balls will plug in the rough, then they should be thinking of a local rule for embedded balls through the green - problem solved.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your club's playing conditions are such that balls will plug in the rough, then they should be thinking of a local rule for embedded balls through the green - problem solved.

Exactly what's on at my place at the moment.

So soggy with the wet weather that this weekend it was pick clean and place/drop everywhere.