Ball on the wrong green

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Before I say this can I point out that I'm yet to do it but ......

On one of my local courses there is a Par 3 Green that sits just the right of the Fairway of an earlier Par 5, about 40-50yds in front of the tee. Now, if you stuff up your drive on the Par 5, there's a very real chance of dropping it on to the Par 3 Green.

What's the ruling/etiquette here? Not just for this course but any similar situation, i.e. ball landing on a teeing area for another hole that is close to the Green you are playing to.

As I said, I haven't done it, but I'm very conscious of the Green being there, especially if others are on or near it. This has a tendency to put me off as I'm preparing myself for a FORE shout with little notice.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure you get a free drop off the green, not that I can check at the moment because of a flash issue and the R&A website. I'm sure someone will be along soon with the ruling :)

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rule 25-3 b applies.
"If a player's ball lies on a wrong putting green, he must not play the ball as it lies. He must take relief, without penalty as follows:
The player must lift the ball and drop it within one club-length of, and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. The nearest point of relief must not be in a hazard or on a putting green. When dropping the ball within one club-length of the nearest point of relief, the ball must first strike a part of the course at a spot that avoids interference by the wrong putting green and is not in a hazard and not on a putting green. The ball may be cleaned when lifted under this rule."

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
One point probably worth emphasising is that the ball has to be on the green to get the relief, there is no relief if the ball is an inch off the green and you have to stand on the green to play the shot...... i.e it's different to the GUR procedure.