Ball not in penalty area.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can easily imagine situations where a ball is 100% seen to enter a penalty area but not seen to exit it (ball skips on the water or hits rock just under the surface and flies off etc)

So for sure it’d be known or virtually certain it went in to the penalty area and at the same time the player can have no knowledge that it exited the penalty area

Wouldn’t the player be correct in taking the drop at point of entry even if they subsequently found the original ball on the far bank after a new ball was put into play?

Yes. See Rule 17.1c.

As mentioned above, the original ball is out of play and would be a wrong ball if a stroke was made at it..

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can easily imagine situations where a ball is 100% seen to enter a penalty area but not seen to exit it (ball skips on the water or hits rock just under the surface and flies off etc)

So for sure it’d be known or virtually certain it went in to the penalty area and at the same time the player can have no knowledge that it exited the penalty area

Wouldn’t the player be correct in taking the drop at point of entry even if they subsequently found the original ball on the far bank after a new ball was put into play?
Virtual certainty applies to the ball's final resting place not its passing over the margin into the PA. Has the player got virtual certainty that it did not exit?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Virtual certainty applies to the ball's final resting place not its passing over the margin into the PA. Has the player got virtual certainty that it did not exit?

Can any player ever be virtually certain a ball didn't exit a penalty area sometime after the splash, unless they have physical sight of it at rest in the penalty area when they get there
( in this case I'm also making an assumption but by proceeding to take the penalty drop the (any) player is indeed virtually certain the ball didn't exit the penalty area)

NearHull

Visit site
I had a ‘virtually certain‘ experience yesterday at Kenwiick Park. I fell short hitting over a lake (pond?) to a par three, saw the splash and turned away. I am more than certain it’s in the water. Playing partner then informs me that it jumped out and it is on the bank.

i suppose it shows how difficult the judgement is.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a ‘virtually certain‘ experience yesterday at Kenwiick Park. I fell short hitting over a lake (pond?) to a par three, saw the splash and turned away. I am more than certain it’s in the water. Playing partner then informs me that it jumped out and it is on the bank.

Not really. Your pp saw it so was certain. It will be difficult if you don't watch it.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The 17th? Nice course (y)