Ball hanging over the hole

Darrengrice

Visit site
On a recent match play event, taking my Fifth shot
I chipped up to the hole from 40 yards, as I walked to the pin, the ball was perched over the hole, within the allowable 10 seconds I lifted the pin, admittedly with force, the ball dropped in, what is the ruling?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Either some part of the ball was below the level of the green surface when it was 'perched over the hole, or it wasn't - your description doesn't help here.

1. It was - the ball is already holed.
2. It wasn't - you took a deliberate action which caused your ball to move, without having marked it's position. One stroke penalty and the ball must be replaced.

Darrengrice

Visit site
Either some part of the ball was below the level of the green surface when it was 'perched over the hole, or it wasn't - your description doesn't help here.

1. It was - the ball is already holed.
2. It wasn't - you took a deliberate action which caused your ball to move, without having marked it's position. One stroke penalty and the ball must be replaced.
Sorry, don’t understand what you mean by “some part of the ball was below the level of the green”?
As I approached the hole, Around a third of the ball was hanging over the hole, my playing partner requested flag to be removed, in order not to touch the ball with the pin, I slightly angled the pin away from the ball, so not to touch the ball, as I pulled the pin out, the ball dropped in

Darrengrice

Visit site
Sorry, don’t understand what you mean by “some part of the ball was below the level of the green”?
As I approached the hole, Around a third of the ball was hanging over the hole, my playing partner requested flag to be removed, in order not to touch the ball with the pin, I slightly angled the pin away from the ball, so not to touch the ball, as I pulled the pin out, the ball dropped in

Attachments

• DF0484E0-99C8-4529-8ED4-0D4B620EE64F.jpeg
    DF0484E0-99C8-4529-8ED4-0D4B620EE64F.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 24

Darrengrice

Visit site
I walked to the hole, then within 10 seconds I removed the pin

Are you telling me it’s 10 seconds from hitting the ball?
As far as I’m aware you have 10 seconds was you have approached the hole. I may not know the rule on ball dropping in on removing the pin, however I would have thought an assistant Pro should know this rule (16-2)
I didn’t join this forum to be ridiculed, I’m just asking a simple rule from experts

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

As far as I’m aware you have 10 seconds was you have approached the hole. I may not know the rule on ball dropping in on removing the pin, however I would have thought an assistant Pro should know this rule (16-2)
I didn’t join this forum to be ridiculed, I’m just asking a simple rule from experts
I wasn't meaning to ridicule you and apologies, you are correct.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As per your description the ten seconds starts from when you reach the ball provided you have started to walk towards it with out undue delay.
Best to wait for ten seconds, after reaching the ball, before deciding your next course of action.

Darrengrice

Visit site
Why didn't you just tap the ball in prior to removing the flag .
Yes, looking back, I should have done, playing partner asked me to remove flag on my walk to hole, which I did, I did concede the hole, as I feel removing the pin did have an effect, just needed confirmation, which I now feel I have

Darrengrice

Visit site
As per your description the ten seconds starts from when you reach the ball provided you have started to walk towards it with out undue delay.
Best to wait for ten seconds, after reaching the ball, before deciding your next course of action.
Agreed, I started walking as soon as I hit it, as I was hoping to follow it in, but not the case
Thanks for “some” of the positive posts,
Think this is cleared up
Goodbye

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't see that you caused the ball to drop if you didn't touch it with the flagstick.
No issue all round.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If removing the pin caused the ball to drop in, then surely it was leaning against the pin beforehand? Which means part of the ball would have been below the surface of the hole, hence already holed.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, looking back, I should have done, playing partner asked me to remove flag on my walk to hole, which I did, I did concede the hole, as I feel removing the pin did have an effect, just needed confirmation, which I now feel I have

Yes, your 10 secs is once there.

Thank you for the honest assessment of your actions having caused the ball to move - definitely best to let your clock run down before taking actions like that; even with care it will always raise the question. Most of the time such situations occur when you have putted from the green - in which case if you removed the flag before the ball fell in you have different problem.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If removing the pin caused the ball to drop in, then surely it was leaning against the pin beforehand? Which means part of the ball would have been below the surface of the hole, hence already holed.
Not nessasarily, the ball could of been " teetering " on the edge of the hole. Any vibration/ removing the stick, topside the hole or wind or any two of the previous could of caused it to drop.
Think the ops post is one that most folk won't,don't know the ruling of but we now do 😁👍

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not nessasarily, the ball could of been " teetering " on the edge of the hole. Any vibration/ removing the stick, topside the hole or wind or any two of the previous could of caused it to drop.
Think the ops post is one that most folk won't,don't know the ruling of but we now do 😁👍
Seems doubtful to me. If you haven't touched the ball with the stick then I'd say it dropped in of it's own accord. Maybe explaining that to the others might not be so easy though.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yes, your 10 secs is once there.

Thank you for the honest assessment of your actions having caused the ball to move - definitely best to let your clock run down before taking actions like that; even with care it will always raise the question. Most of the time such situations occur when you have putted from the green - in which case if you removed the flag before the ball fell in you have different problem.

For clarification.
Duncan as mentioned, should any of us be In That position again then. Best to hang on 10 seconds to see if it drops. If not, tap it in with the stick in. Otherwise removing the flag and causing the ball to move is a penalty as you mentioned.