Ball damaged by grass cutter...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing yesterday and the greenkeeper didn't see my ball in the rough and ran over it. Spat the ball out away from its original spot but as I hadn't seen where that was I played it as it lay. When I marked it on the green it had a huge split across it which made it wobble even more than our greens on its way past the hole!

Could I have changed it prior to either the shot to the green or the putt?

DCB

Visit site
Yes, tell your fellow competitot that your ball has been damaged and you're going to change it. The may ask to see, but then it's a case of dropping a new one. No penalty involved if you adhere to 5-2 Ball Unfit For Play.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, tell your fellow competitot that your ball has been damaged and you're going to change it. The may ask to see, but then it's a case of dropping a new one. No penalty involved if you adhere to 5-2 Ball Unfit For Play.

Thanks. Off to read that rule now :cheers:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

The substituted ball should be placed on the spot where the original ball lay.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just to clarify - for those who can't follow or be bothered to check.

If the original position of the ball is known, then it is placed (20-3-a/b) otherwise dropped (20-3c).

And a ball found to be unfit for play can be replaced at any time.