Ball below the feet!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably an old chestnut but I'm going to ask anyway.
My home course is quite undulating in places, a decent drive can still leave you with a tricky second shot where the ball is a good few inches below your feet.
I'd say 90% of the time I'm awful at it, it just feels wrong with the ball so far below my feet and I make a complete mess of it.
So how do you play them, what's the general rule if there is one?

For arguments sake lets say it's a 7 iron so 160 ish to the green.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not a teacher so don't know if this is right but it's the way I do it...

Take an extra club, bit of extra bend in the knees, smooth swing trying to keep my lower half a little quieter than normal.
Maybe aim a little left depending on where the bad miss is.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Take an extra club, bit of extra bend in the knees, smooth swing trying to keep my lower half a little quieter than normal.

You got it mate, low and right is my main miss. Makes sense with the longer club, never thought of that to be honest.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably an old chestnut but I'm going to ask anyway.
My home course is quite undulating in places, a decent drive can still leave you with a tricky second shot where the ball is a good few inches below your feet.
I'd say 90% of the time I'm awful at it, it just feels wrong with the ball so far below my feet and I make a complete mess of it.
So how do you play them, what's the general rule if there is one?

For arguments sake lets say it's a 7 iron so 160 ish to the green.

need to take at least one more club, most folks probably 2 more.

reason being (tour players excepted) given the slope it's pretty impossible unless someone has very strong legs & core to swing through to a complete full finish without falling off balance off the shot down the slope.
which is why it feels a ways odd & difficult to do for a lot of folks as they are trying to hit their normal club for the distance to a full finish.

posture needs to be little more give in the knees to be able to get clubhead down to the ball.

& because any motion will tend to pull the player down the slope on the toes, needs to be a feeling of a 'little ways' sit back, butt back, needs to be done but not exaggerated, left hip turns back some not hips to ball
- incidentally any folk who have an issue with EE finding a small slope ball below feet & hitting these slightly less than 3/4 swing shots as a drill is a real good ways to fell butt back with the hip turn as it's this opposite feeling to EE you need to hit these shots

think of the swing length being hands & turn back to 10 o/clock atop, then swinging down & through to 3 o'clock - keeping knee flex, butt back as left hip clears & keeping vertical head height into strike - {important not to lose the pelvic angle by the hips moving forwards to the ball}

as the heel tends to ground first club face angle oft times still little ways open through impact so ball will tend to go with the direction of the slope to the rightfield some so aim to whatever safe target needs to factor that in

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Nothing more to add really :)

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
As usual the coach and Bob have done this justice, but here's my beginner knowledge in reply to the higher lie question. Struggled recently myself so this is the product of my research. I think of a couple of basics for any uneven lie shot like this, above or below.

Club Selection: Take another club or two even, a full swing is a bad idea for balance in these shots so compensate for reduced power by clubbing up.

Aim: Left Low, Right Height. So aim left if it's lower, aim right if it's at a height above your feet.

Grip: Normal if lower, grip down an inch and a half or so if above the feet.

Posture/Stance: Feel as if you lean into the slope, but not so much as to sway forward or back. Weight towards heels for lower, toes for higher.

Then put a nice easy 3/4 swing on it! :) If only it was that simple... I still manage to top it to oblivion occasionally, but that's down to my own execution of these principles!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any tips for ball above feet, while we're at it?

Take an extra club, grip down on it a bit, smooth swing trying to keep lower half a little quieter than normal, while making sure to maintain height through the swing.
Maybe aim a little right depending on where the bad miss is.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Take an extra club, grip down on it a bit, smooth swing trying to keep lower half a little quieter than normal, while making sure to maintain height through the swing.

Cheers Gary, this is the one I struggle with and always chunk it!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site

Thanks. My nemesis hole always gives me an uphill lie.