Ball below feet

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Morning Gents,

Just wondering if anyone (ANYONE) could share their tips as to how they play a shot with the ball below their feet.

I've always struggled with this shot, and I'm going to need it a lot on the back 9 of my new course.

I know the basic physics (aim more left as the ball is more likely to fade/head right), but a lot of the time I struggle for a good connection.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find the two main problems are. Keeping balance, so try to keep weight on heels. The real killer is that the heel of the club often digs in due to the slope. Not much you can do about that. Other than swing smooth and shorten the backswing to try and stay compact. Sorry this is not much help. But it is probably the hardest shot in golf

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find the two main problems are. Keeping balance, so try to keep weight on heels. The real killer is that the heel of the club often digs in due to the slope. Not much you can do about that. Other than swing smooth and shorten the backswing to try and stay compact. Sorry this is not much help. But it is probably the hardest shot in golf

Makes me feel a lot better about not being good at it then! :D

Any help is good help! Cheers both.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

in your opinion. im going for the downhill bunker lie with lip of the bunker impeding your swing.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
in your opinion. im going for the downhill bunker lie with lip of the bunker impeding your swing.

Can I add that the ball should be plugged!

In reply to the post - make sure you get down to the ball. Bend at the legs and you might also consider gripping up the shaft a little. Make sure you feel balanced.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can I add that the ball should be plugged!

In reply to the post - make sure you get down to the ball. Bend at the legs and you might also consider gripping up the shaft a little. Make sure you feel balanced.

ah, you know the shot im on about then. :rofl:

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I read a tip in one of the mags (GM I think) that said that you can actually end up hitting it LEFT off that lie as well. The theory goes that if the heel of the club catches in the ground at impact, the toe will overtake it, closing the clubface leading to a hook left.

I was surprised when I read it but it made some sense. The cut right is still more common though I'd guess.

So to summarise, it could go left or right and you won't know which until you've hit it.

You're welcome! :D

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I read a tip in one of the mags (GM I think) that said that you can actually end up hitting it LEFT off that lie as well. The theory goes that if the heel of the club catches in the ground at impact, the toe will overtake it, closing the clubface leading to a hook left.

I was surprised when I read it but it made some sense. The cut right is still more common though I'd guess.

So to summarise, it could go left or right and you won't know which until you've hit it.

You're welcome! :D

:D Cheers mate!

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stand a fraction closer and taller and it "should" negate some of the fade/slice. Works for me when I end up in the dunes at my place :rolleyes:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like many others I HATE this shot.

I find the ball will go right so for me it's more a matter of playing a safe shot than worrying too much about technique. So unless it's safer to go right, I usually aim well left. If the ball is well below my feet and there is trouble right it might mean playing a much shorter iron to a wide safe target area.

Interesting to see advice to stand taller as I always flex my knees a bit more to make sure I get to the bottom of the ball.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Swinging smoothly, maintaining balance and height are the key things for me with this shot.
Try too hard and it goes to RatPoo very quickly.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just checked my Tom Watson DVD.

In summary

Stand a bit closer to the ball
Bend a bit more from the waist
Aim left or hood the club.

He makes it look so easy!

Must say I do think those DVDs are excellent. I must watch them again now the season is starting.

You can get a little taster on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/user/TomWatsonGolf/feed?feature=context

Check out the one-handed bunker shot in Basic Bunker Shot Lesson 2

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This shot was the 'punishment' for hitting a long drive on 1 hole at an old club. Had mixed results but normally took a club extra as well as doing the Watson stuff above. Staying balanced was the key. Swing thought was 'stay down'. Occasional mystery pull resulted but, if I aimed at left side of green and made good connection, I often ended up on right hand part of green.

Downhiller seems harder than a hanger to me.