Ball above the feet.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had this shot a couple of times yesterday and badly hooked it both times, which always us the way.

I've never been able to get this right so it's my mission to crack it now.

It's not the sort of thing that's easy to practice at the range so any tip or drills I can use would be great.

Thanks.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Try your best at the range, put a folded up towel under your toes and tee the ball high when using an iron - not ideal but about as good as you are going to get on a non-grass range.

Also, when out on the course playing a practice round (perhaps by yourself) you can deliberately put he ball in those situations, drive off, then move your ball to that lie for your next shot instead of playing it as it lay.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From GM instruction on ball above feet:
Firstly, the slope will naturally make your swing flatter that usual and this, along with the full release that is also encouraged, will cause the ball to turn left in the air. There’s no way to really counteract this confidently, so just allow for the draw with your alignment and aim your feet, hips and shoulders as well as the club face, a little right of your intended target. Secondly, move your hands down the shaft, to the bottom of the grip. This will prevent you from catching the ground before the ball and hitting it fat – a common trap you simply must be aware of and avoid. Finally, stand a little taller to the ball than usual – you’ll need a little less knee flex at address to do this. Importantly, ensure that you still pivot over the ball from your hips, keeping your back straight. Your adress still needs to be dynamic and athletic to allow you to make a good upper body rotation. As long as you can maintain this spine angle through the swing – from address to impact – you should be able to find the strike you’re looking for.
Read more at http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/videos/long-game-tips/ball-above-feet-golf-tips#xBpmbLJkv5QJf0pc.99

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"perfected the push from that lie"

because of the slope & stance real easy to let too much weight go towards the heels so the upper body can move/lean chest up aways from the ball so push it

any chance you get during a practice round when it's not goin to hold anyone up to drop a couple balls on a slope lie & just realize how to make the set-up feel not so weird - part of that would be to have more pressure in the ball of the feet so not back on the heels any

always got to filter in your norm shot shape with whatever club using - but generally cause the ball is above the feet so the ball is also closer to you the swing is goin to be on a tad flatter arc & the toe is goin to be above the heel - anytime the club head sits like that any loft on the club is goin to be 'looking' at strike more left - the more loft on the club the more left it will look - this why the tendency is for the ball generally to have a draw or hook type flight (but if the tendency of a folks norm flight is a fade type flight that may mean their uphill lies might just fly a little straighter or less of a draw - as to why it's real important to get some practice in)

the steeper the slope the nearer the ball will be (& the likelihood or more of a draw shape) so then have to shorten the club by moving hands down the handle some

when up against this shot in play have to take a tad more time to get balance & aim good taking in likely ball flight - so maybes a couple more practice swings - when folks get uncomfortable with a shot there's a real tendency to hit it quick to get it over with which usually never works out to good

no real need to change ball position in the stance from norm with whatever club - if slope isn't a big one then no real need to either choke down or aim a ways rightfield
bigger the slope then is a need to choke down also better with a smoother swing to be able to keep balance (& not fall back off of the shot) & make good contact also remember the more loft the more the club face 'looks' leftfield so the need to factor that into aim

also the flight tendency to be a tad more of a draw/hook flight is likely to fly lower & run hotter (ground conditions obviously play into any extra run out or not)

any of an uphill/downhill lie with the ball above/below feet as well then balance then even more of an issue so have to swing a tad with the up or down slope too as well as manage the ball position in the stance - swinging flat out not a good ways to go unless you got real good balance factored in

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if this is the text book way but this is how I approach those shots. I grip down to get over the ball more and move my weight more towards my toes, open the clubface slightly, take an extra club, play it back a little bit in my stance and play more of a punch shot to try and maintain balance.

Probably not text book, but works fine for me.