bag set up dilema

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Currently looking to make a few changes to the bag setup and wondering if I need 14 clubs.
Currently in my bag I have (ignore sig please :) )
Driver 10.5
Fairway 15 deg - 30 yard gap
Hybrid 18 deg - 10 yard gap
24 deg - 4 iron - 25 yard gap
27 deg -5 iron - 10 yard gap
31 deg - 6 iron
35 deg - 7 iron
39 deg - 8 iron
43 deg - 9 iron
47 deg - pw
50 deg - 15 yard gap (plays more like a 52 than a 50)
58 deg - 20 yard gap
putter

There is roughly 10 yard gaps between my irons, I have the distance gaps instead of yardages to stop the willy waving :)

I am thinking of changing my 18 deg to maybe a 20 deg hybrid, or poss another 3 iron, I could add a 21 deg and keep the 18 too, but i dont use it very often, its really a towel holder!
Another option, is to remove the 58, add a 56 and a 60, but i have managed all this year without a 60, only time i missed it was in bunker with tight flags

So do i really need 14 clubs? or can you see any other options?

thanks again

JT

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks fundy, I have thought about that too, may be an option, or possibly get a 52, 56, 60?

I guess it depends on whether you like or will use a 60, personally find 58 has plenty of loft and I dont need anything more but plenty of others like the really lofted lob wedge (just tends to get me in trouble lol). Danger if you go to 52/56/60 is you end up with a big gap between PW and 52?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
possibly, quite like the 58, and as stated not overly missed my 60.
any ideas about the top of the bag? cheers

As you say the hybrid looks wrong (otherwise looks fine), would try and get a club to fill the gap in the middle between 3 wood and 4 iron, just a case of preference of hybrid (19 or 20 degree maybe) and 3 iron. Personally have both options but only use the 3 iron in summer

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks again mate, I have 2 sets usually, but just sold my callaways which i used the 3i from, and the titleists i bought dont have a 3i, so thus creating my dilema lol
Fancy a new hybrid and thinking adams, as i like the look and the reviews seem good so maybe a 19/20 of them.
:)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks again mate, I have 2 sets usually, but just sold my callaways which i used the 3i from, and the titleists i bought dont have a 3i, so thus creating my dilema lol
Fancy a new hybrid and thinking adams, as i like the look and the reviews seem good so maybe a 19/20 of them.
:)

The hybrid one club I like having the adjustability option on, enables you to fiddle with the loft to get the right gaps between clubs, very difficult to get correct distance when buying a fixed loft imo (unless you have access to trackman obv). Adams def get good reviews and would be on the list if i was looking

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I would have thought someone with a decent handicap like yourself wouldn't need to consider another wedge as you could open and close the faces of the 2 you have to fill any gaps there.

I think either a 3 iron or a strong hybrid to fill that top end gap looks more a priority.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I also change my wedges depending on the time of year/soft ground. I don't get on with 60*/58* wedges in the winter - I hit too many fat. I take out a wedge and put in another hybrid... courses play longer in the winter, hence the need for another longer club and not a (fat) wedge. But each to their own.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I also change my wedges depending on the time of year/soft ground. I don't get on with 60*/58* wedges in the winter - I hit too many fat. I take out a wedge and put in another hybrid... courses play longer in the winter, hence the need for another longer club and not a (fat) wedge. But each to their own.

Don't get this one. When hitting ball first, nothing is hit fat. Why would conditions in the ground where contact is made after the ball change that?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Don't get this one. When hitting ball first, nothing is hit fat. Why would conditions in the ground where contact is made after the ball change that?

When the ground is dry you can get away with an imperfect hit because the club doesn't dig in as much but when its wet its a big soggy divot and the club heads for middle earth. If you can hit every wedge shot ball first it won't be a problem but I've fatted too many chips and pitches in winter to go with a club that causes me problems...

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
When the ground is dry you can get away with an imperfect hit because the club doesn't dig in as much but when its wet its a big soggy divot and the club heads for middle earth. If you can hit every wedge shot ball first it won't be a problem but I've fatted too many chips and pitches in winter to go with a club that causes me problems...

Ack you're too good a player for that malarky! :D

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ack you're too good a player for that malarky! :D

Did you guys see the strip I took out of NUGC with the wedge. If the ground is soft the club won't slide under the ball it will burrow as hobbit says.

OP - do you feel your really missing a club? I'm a 3 wedge man (including PW) and never feel I've missed out because I don't have a 50 or 60 (would never consider a 64) degree wedge. You actually have more clubs than me as I leave the3 and 4 irons at home but I never feel short of clubs

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Did you guys see the strip I took out of NUGC with the wedge. If the ground is soft the club won't slide under the ball it will burrow as hobbit says.

That only has any impact on the shot if you hit ground first. You should only catch ground first on bunker shots. That's why when people blame the soft ground for mis hits, you know it's their ability, not the conditions!

Last edited:

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
No i dont feel like im missing, probs will miss my 3 iron as i like it into the wind and from the tee but feel my hybrid is off as i dont really get on with it so have the opportunity to rejig a bit

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Currently looking to make a few changes to the bag setup and wondering if I need 14 clubs.
Currently in my bag I have (ignore sig please :) )
Driver 10.5
Fairway 15 deg - 30 yard gap
Hybrid 18 deg - 10 yard gap
24 deg - 4 iron - 25 yard gap
27 deg -5 iron - 10 yard gap
31 deg - 6 iron
35 deg - 7 iron
39 deg - 8 iron
43 deg - 9 iron
47 deg - pw
50 deg - 15 yard gap (plays more like a 52 than a 50)
58 deg - 20 yard gap
putter

There is roughly 10 yard gaps between my irons, I have the distance gaps instead of yardages to stop the willy waving :)

I am thinking of changing my 18 deg to maybe a 20 deg hybrid, or poss another 3 iron, I could add a 21 deg and keep the 18 too, but i dont use it very often, its really a towel holder!
Another option, is to remove the 58, add a 56 and a 60, but i have managed all this year without a 60, only time i missed it was in bunker with tight flags

So do i really need 14 clubs? or can you see any other options?

thanks again

JT

Looking at what you have wrote there you do not need another wedge so I would go with either a 3i or another rescue.