Badgers.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They're ripping our course to shreds.
Fortunately they haven't gone onto the tees, greens or fairways - they're just on the fringe of some fairways
If your ball hits the damage you lose many yards of run and it's a minor plus that you can drop from it..
It's going to take a long time to fix the damage....
Love Badgers but I wish they'd bugger off.......

Anyone else suffering.?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is the club accepting that they are part of nature or is the plan to tackle them? If so, what do you do?
Short of buying a cow and giving it TB I'm not sure there's anything you can do...
They're after the grubs and bugs and you can't use insecticides, they're protected so there's a limit to what action you can take.
We have decent fencing but if a badger wants to go somewhere it goes.....

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Short of buying a cow and giving it TB I'm not sure there's anything you can do...
They're after the grubs and bugs and you can't use insecticides, they're protected so there's a limit to what action you can take.
We have decent fencing but if a badger wants to go somewhere it goes.....

Can't you buy a cow that already has TB and blame it on your badgers? ;)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I played a course a few months back that had badgers, area was cordoned off - you weren't allowed to go in to look for balls, it was overgrown and there was some fallen trees that might well pose a safety risk.
The green adjacent to their habitat was fenced off to prevent them from damaging it.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
We had trouble in the summer dry spell when the only soft ground where they could find worms etc was around the watered tees.

Lots of badger scraping near them and they completely destroyed one tee.

It seems to have stopped now that everywhere is wet again although an adjacent field looks like it's been ploughed!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lot of farmers in the SW will kill the badgers, then dump the bodies on the A303 to make it look like roadkill

There is one particular hill I go up most days with steep banks either side with farmers fields at the top, seeing a dead badger on the road on that hill is quite common.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A lot of farmers in the SW will kill the badgers, then dump the bodies on the A303 to make it look like roadkill
Disgusting behaviour.
The witch hunt against badgers is a disgrace in my book. Vaccinate the cows against TB and job done.
I don't think an irrefutable link that badgers are the cause of TB at all.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Disgusting behaviour.
The witch hunt against badgers is a disgrace in my book. Vaccinate the cows against TB and job done.
I don't think an irrefutable link that badgers are the cause of TB at all.

Farmers are like that, I know some that kill Buzzards and all sorts of wildlife to "protect" their farm.

However I think vaccinating all cows would be prohibitively expensive. Also as with foot and mouth disease, being vaccinated doesn't prevent a cow from being a carrier so no country that did not also vaccinate against TB would not buy any cows from the UK at risk of it spreading across their herds

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Rumour has it that happens up here in a few places. Between Inverness and Nairn there are always dead badgers by the roadside, even bits that don't have any trees or habitat for hundreds of yards. I did hear the SSPCA and Nature Scot had taken some of the bodies, but their findings havnt been made public.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Austin Lodge in Kent had a badger problem and they ended up shutting the course as they couldn't keep up with the damage and the spoon whittlers say they can't be culled

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have badgers and they have mainly ripped up a number of the tee boxes. We now have lights that are triggered by motion sensors on the tees which seems to keep them away.