Badgers.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
It’s a myth - the same with garlic and the flashing lights etc , none of it works

What you need to do is have the course near a major road , seems to work for Woburn with the amount seen dead on the A5 nearby ???
I worked for an insurance broker as a lad and one had a claim for a van that was written off by a badger.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The trouble with Badgers, especially on roads, is that they have no natural predators in the UK..so they're fearless.
If they're on the road and a car comes along they don't scatter...they just think.."Yeah..what?" and don't move until it's too late...
And they're damn solid creatures too.
Some years back I remem5coming across one that had been hit and was still alive..couldn't leave it there and we had a crate in the car so we put an old blanket on the badger, manhandled it into the crate and took to the local wildlife hospital.
It weighed a flipping ton!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Rumour has it that happens up here in a few places. Between Inverness and Nairn there are always dead badgers by the roadside, even bits that don't have any trees or habitat for hundreds of yards. I did hear the SSPCA and Nature Scot had taken some of the bodies, but their findings havnt been made public.

It’s common practice pretty much everywhere. This sounds awful, but I’ve seen the results of enough collisions to know when something/someone has been hit by a vehicle. And I would say the vast majority of badgers which end up neatly at the roadside, intact and without any obvious injuries, have not been hit by vehicles.

RichA

Visit site
The trouble with Badgers, especially on roads, is that they have no natural predators in the UK..so they're fearless.
If they're on the road and a car comes along they don't scatter...they just think.."Yeah..what?" and don't move until it's too late...
Some years back I remem5coming across one that had been hit and was still alive..couldn't leave it there and we had a crate in the car so we put an old blanket on the badger, manhandled it into the crate and took to the local wildlife hospital.
I'm a bit of a nature boy, but in 50-something years of wildlife spotting I've never seen a live badger. They can't be that fearless.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I hit one whilst driving a police vehicle years ago. I was on a country road going at a reasonable lick and hit it pretty much square on. It took the front valance off the car. The badger shook itself down and continued on its way.