Bad Prizes

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
lol.

i won a nearest the pin prize at Muir of ord a few years ago, the prize was a £250 voucher at a high class jewelers. gave the prize to the wife, who was pleased ish.

came back after visiting the shop some time later, saying you owe me £50.... there was nothing for less than £300 in the shop, so wining the prize cost me £50:rofl::rofl:

Could that have been a cynical ploy by the company donating the prize to get something out of it as well ?:eek:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This isn't an awful prize just a slightly odd one maybe. I played a golf day with my football team a couple of years back. I won nearest the pin and got a Northwood Golf Club polo shirt. We weren't playing at Northwood though, we were playing at Wexham Park. I have still never played at Northwood GC, yet I have a polo with their badge on. :lol:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This isn't an awful prize just a slightly odd one maybe. I played a golf day with my football team a couple of years back. I won nearest the pin and got a Northwood Golf Club polo shirt. We weren't playing at Northwood though, we were playing at Wexham Park. I have still never played at Northwood GC, yet I have a polo with their badge on. :lol:

I was at a club yesterday, Close House, buying a voucher for someone as a present. They had a sale on in their pro shop for GG sleeveless jumpers, £25. I would like one, it looked great but it had their name on it. I like the place, a lot as it happens, but it is not my club and it just didn't seem right to buy and wear it. Daft really.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I was at a club yesterday, Close House, buying a voucher for someone as a present. They had a sale on in their pro shop for GG sleeveless jumpers, £25. I would like one, it looked great but it had their name on it. I like the place, a lot as it happens, but it is not my club and it just didn't seem right to buy and wear it. Daft really.

Off topic but that wouldn't have put me off buying
I have several tops & caps from various courses I've played, they're just like souvenirs really

(I've also seen lots of golfers with Ryder Cup/The Open shirts and I'll wager none of them played in those either :D)

You should have just got it

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He did tell me I could have returned it to Northwood GC and got the cash value, but I never got round to it. I just threw it into my polo shirt rotation.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have several tops & caps from various courses I've played, they're just like souvenirs really

(I've also seen lots of golfers with Ryder Cup/The Open shirts and I'll wager none of them played in those either :D)

Blimey, all those years when I've thought I've been buying drinks for Ryder Cup players and they were all frauds :D. I feel so foolish.

I know what you mean, it is my own daftness that stopped me. Ironically had it been a club miles from home I might have got it, as you say it is like a souvenir, but because it is fairly close it felt wrong.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site

Bit like a cyclist wearing a YELLOW jersey and carrying 25 stone around !!

Hammer drill @ Hinckley one year, one of the clubs directors owned a tool shop :) sold before I left the building for 50%

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I won captains day at the club I was member of about 10 years ago, they gave me 2 crystal candle stick holders (wtf??) proceeded to get very drunk and dropped one, the next day my mum got one nice crystal candle stick holder

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One society I was in had one of those counting score devices that fit on your bag that goes from 1-9. About as much use as a chocolate teapot. But when it was given to someone who was ahem .... slightly forgetful with his shots, then it became funny as hell.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
A waterproof jacket and trousers- excellent!

The jacket was snow white, so not very practical. Obviously designed by someone who has never played winter golf

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Won a prize at the weekend in a Texas Scramble. 1st Hole Par 3, closest to the pin, my prize: XL Mizuno Polo top, no other choices available, unfortunately I'm barely a medium in golf polo's. :rofl:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fortunately in my works golf society they hand out Golf Galaxy vouchers so you can use them to get something you actually want. NOthing more pointless than winning a box of cheap golf balls that you will never use, or other prizes like bag towels, umbreallas etc. We already have bag towels and umbrellas, why do I need another one.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I had the fewest number of putts in a junior open (something like 22 putts because I couldn't hit any greens) and the prize was a new putter!, not a nice putter but something you would get from Sports Direct!

Is that the one you sold to me for £50. :mmm:

D

Deleted member 15344

Loads of golfers buy shirts or jumpers from places they have visited , I have loads from meets or other society days. In fact most of my tops I wear have a crest or name from a club I have played