Bad Prizes

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I won a couple of longest drives over the weekend (and a nearest the pin)(and 3rd place) one of the prizes for the longest drive was a putter fitting!

Sounds great until you here about what that entails, you get fit for a putter, 'still sounds good', they give you the putter, 'getting better', for three months, 'ah', then you have to either return it or buy it, for 4,000zl (about £1,000).

I can't help but think the guys at the company gave away that voucher knowing there was a pretty good chance they'd never see it again, I'm certainly not going to use it I like the putter I've got and I don't plan to try to justify a £1,000 putter.

Any other examples of bad prizes that probably just got thrown at the first chance?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
lol.

i won a nearest the pin prize at Muir of ord a few years ago, the prize was a £250 voucher at a high class jewelers. gave the prize to the wife, who was pleased ish.

came back after visiting the shop some time later, saying you owe me £50.... there was nothing for less than £300 in the shop, so wining the prize cost me £50:rofl::rofl:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A lady friend of mine played in a ladies open where the first prize was a deep fat frier and second prize was a George Foreman grill :mad:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
One of our open comps used to be sponsored by a travel agent, so most of the prizes were vouchers for hotels somewhere. Sounds great, but it ususally meant something like "one night for one person in a double room at the xxx hotel on Teneriffe, valid from Oct. 16th to Nov 30th" or something like that, so to really use the voucher, you'd have to book a flight for yourself and a second person (who is paying for the other half of the double room), which you probably would not do for just one night, meaning you'd book a few more days to make it worthwhile ... I know most winners never used their vouchers.

DCB

Visit site
Played in the Lamlash Open on Arran where one of the prizes as a new washing machine. A teenager won it .... it was in the For Sale section of the Arran Banner later that week ;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played in a charity event in the late 90's.
Apart from the normal ones there were 3 extras.. Nearest the Pin and Longest drive (as usual) plus Fewest putts on the green..
The prizes..?
Longest drive - a second hand driver
Nearest the pin - a second hand wedge
Fewest putts - Yep! A second hand putter...
I know it was for charity but at least mix them up. Someone who's just hit a 310 yard drive to win(Me!) doesn't need a 2nd hand driver...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Team event had toilet rolls/refurbed balls as prizes for the 'longest day' Team (to highlight the quality of their play i suppose) however due to a 'joke' by organizers (misunderstood by everyone there) these were actually handed out to the 2nd placed team... without much mirth or appreciation :mad:

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have BMW sponsored club comp each year.

Won it one year 6 tickets to Goodwood Festival of speed (not interested in cars).

Next year 4th, BMW coathanger.

This was when BMW were sponsoring golf so disappointing.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played a corporate day last year at the belfry.

Long story short.

1st prize was a carry bag.
2nd prize was a TM putter
3rd prize (which I won 😁) was £150 of AG vouchers.

I was so glad I never came first or second.

Similar to Imurg. I have always been puzzled by winning a new driver, by hitting the longest drive of the day.

I have seen the winner of one of these (340 yard plus easy) being handed a 12 degree TM burner with a regular shaft in. 😂

To be fair to the lad that won. he just put it straight back into the charity auction about 15 minutes after winning it.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I played in a comp where there was a prize on every hole.

One of the offerings was a £30 voucher for a local hairdressers....was won by a bloke with alopecia!!!!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I won a beautiful cart bag, worth over £100. I had just bought a cart bag so sold the thing straight away as I couldn’t exchange it for vouchers. Never remember how I posted it though...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Worst prize I won was a set of 3 suitcases with soft sides (2nd prize in a PRO/AM). They have never been used other than to keep unused clothes in on top of the wardrobe the in the 25 years I have owned them.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Srixon Distance balls, which had been freshly bought from the pro shop for £20/dozen

At least give people a choice of the ball they can have

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not a prize for golf but a prize in a recent golf-related charity raffle. I left a "friend" to check my tickets as I had to shoot off. The system was that when your ticket came up, you chose from what was left on the prize table. My "friend" thought it very amusing when he presented me with a box of 12 brand new Commando Plus.

I still have them if anyone is interested.

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Any prize whether donated or from the club shop that is intended to make you spend more money is always frustrating. Not many as bad as winning a putter for 3 months mind !

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Srixon Distance balls, which had been freshly bought from the pro shop for £20/dozen

Not really possible is it if they are working with a budget. you’re obv not going to get pro v’s for £20. What would be better would be simply going back into the pro shop in question and exchanging the distance for £20 worth of something you do need.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Pretty much every time we've been in this position the relevant Pro shops have all accepted the balls back and we've paid the differences for better balls