Bad course management, when you stop making those mistakes?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well most of them anyway!

I was playing with a Guy last weekend, who I have posted about before that came down last year from 18 to 10. He has played the game for a long time, but still makes terrible decisions on the course.

On at least 3 holes he tried a real glory shot from the rough with a wood when just getting the ball out and back into play, probably would have still won him the hole, with the shot he had.

We had a chat about it and he’s course management is terrible, wrong siding himself, over ambitious shots etc.

So at what point would you expect to cut out the really stupid mistakes while getting your handicap down?

I would have started a poll, but no idea how to.

For me it was about the same handicap as him, take your medicine get the ball back in play, I say.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
The moment you realise that ambition and ability are only close together in a dictionary. Unfortunately, you just can't put a number on it.

I started to be able to judge what was a good outcome from each situation when I got to about 6. Which was also the same time as when I could reliably introduce ball to club on a repeatable basis.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Biggest differences IMO between being 10/11/12 and 5/6/7 are short game and course management. Below that it's consistency and pure natural ability. So yes, when getting into single figures is about the time you need to cut the silly shots out, play the percentages and learn that a bogey is sometimes a good score.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its fine to say that ...:) but depends on the circumstances....in my case if Ive had had a pretty less than average day with a sack of bogeys/doubles and I'm 3 holes to play sometimes a 230 rescue out of the cabbage can seem like a good idea to see if I can drop a putt for a bird and get something out of the day... Obviously the difference in either stableford or medal is marginal at this stage of the game but in match play it could be vital. I do agree that a sound course management approach is good from the get go and if around the buffer mark in a medal but if all is lost on the back nine... you might as well try it on a bit or whats the point in playing?

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Tend to always avoid risk shots where I might lose a ball, otherwise I go for everything. Doesn't always come off, but then playing safe doesn't always come off either.

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I started to be able to judge what was a good outcome from each situation when I got to about 6. Which was also the same time as when I could reliably introduce ball to club on a repeatable basis.

This is well put. Overwhelming majority refuse to factor in their own innate lack of swing/hit reproducibility which when compounded with making shot decisions on course leads to calamity.

Three straightforward straight'ish shots (no more than 150 yds, with give & take for par 3s and 5s) and 2 putts on 18 holes is 90. Trim a few off that with putting and you'd be decently under the average handicap.

Course management is then risk/reward for increasing the length of those 150 yd hits.... but then for 99.9% of players dandering round course with a bag that starts at 5/6i down 9i plus wedges & putter isn't attractive....

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't know when it is but here's some advice I wish someone had given me (or at least I wish I'd listened to) for everyone aiming to get to low cat2\cat1...

You won't realise just how precious every shot is until you don't have many to play with. Never risk taking more shots to complete a hole than you need to. In times of trouble, bogey is your friend.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a sucker for course management. Last year I came down from 26 to 19, and I factored a lot of that in course management. Then I started feeling confident and went back to me old ways of trying to cream a 5 wood 220 yards off a par 5 for an eagle opportunity. Should just take a 7 iron and a wedge, but I'm too stupid!

Each week I tell myself I'll not do it, but each week I do. Shame really. Those 0.1s have taken me away from the dreamy 18 handicap :(

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Implaying for fun, not a living, so im going to try the Hollywood shot, and stuff the consequences. If it ever comes off, I'll feel chuffed to bits!

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its a big part of the game. I still make some bad choices and im learning as a I go but I think back to when I started and for example any time I was left with a shot of 210 up I would just whip the 3 wood out and try and nail it :D whereas now if the approach is over 200 unless its a stupidly easy hole with no danger I wont go for it unless im having a great day and im playing from the fairway etc.

Like the pros do I think amateur players should look at holes where they can attack and holes what suit their shots. I used to go for every green in regulation no matter what but as ive wised up I know it will always end in disaster.

My aim for this season is to pick my battles and just try and play the holes that don't suit me smartly and move on.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Well most of them anyway!

I was playing with a Guy last weekend, who I have posted about before that came down last year from 18 to 10. He has played the game for a long time, but still makes terrible decisions on the course.

On at least 3 holes he tried a real glory shot from the rough with a wood when just getting the ball out and back into play, probably would have still won him the hole, with the shot he had.

We had a chat about it and he’s course management is terrible, wrong siding himself, over ambitious shots etc.

So at what point would you expect to cut out the really stupid mistakes while getting your handicap down?

I would have started a poll, but no idea how to.

For me it was about the same handicap as him, take your medicine get the ball back in play, I say.

Never! where's the fun it playing safe? Glory shots are what bring us back and what we remember into old age!

We could all hit 6 iron, 6 iron, wedge to par 4's but where's the fun/challenge/ sense of achievement in that?

Go for it everytime :thup:

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm all for course management, but not at the risk of some excitement! I love trying to hit Par 5's in two and manufacturing a shot out of trouble - otherwise where is the fun? Of course, if no shot is available I will chip out or go for the percentages, but I play this game for enjoyment and I get that by taking a few risks. The handicap takes care of itself.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would like to think I ask myself the questions. Where is a bad miss, where is my usual miss and so on. But as the OP asked, I am thinking your buddy must be starting to think that nowish?!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
does that include trying to hit a 3 wood out of deep rough, with a terrible lie, when you getting a shot in a match?

No, because that shot is impossible for me. I'd hit it out of the trees though, maybe a low cut, threaded through a couple of tree trunks, rising late, over a bunker or two. I might pull that one off!

I can't carry 220 with a fairway wood, so if there's a 220 carry over a pond, I'm not going for it. This to me isn't course management, it's accepting reality.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was an 8 or 9 hcp when i decided to invest more energy in the mental game and specifically course management. Lost 7 shots. There's nothing wrong with making a bogey when you need to but everything wrong with not thinking strategically and making a triple (for me at least; your expectations may vary). Anytime i start to feel bad about laying up i just think about the trophies i've won doing precisely that. Problem solved.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played the GM Centenary qualifier at St Pierre and the Final at the FoA with a game plan. Every par 4 over 420 yards was out of range (and I got a shot anyway) and so irrespective of where the drive landed I was laying up to 80-90 yards and pitching on as that is a strong part of my game. Did me and my score card no harm whatsoever and the odd up and down for par really helped the cause

The problem with playing the same course regularly is familiarity breeds contempt and although you know where the danger is you try and take it on regardless from poor lies or impossible circumstances. Not knowing the courses for the GM event all I was trying to do was keep the approach on the fairway so I was playing in from a good lie on the fairway.

My biggest fault is not taking the time to assess situations and the options available. Sometimes a penalty drop is the right action and can still set up a bogey which is never a card buster.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played the GM Centenary qualifier at St Pierre and the Final at the FoA with a game plan. Every par 4 over 420 yards was out of range (and I got a shot anyway) and so irrespective of where the drive landed I was laying up to 80-90 yards and pitching on as that is a strong part of my game. Did me and my score card no harm whatsoever and the odd up and down for par really helped the cause

The problem with playing the same course regularly is familiarity breeds contempt and although you know where the danger is you try and take it on regardless from poor lies or impossible circumstances. Not knowing the courses for the GM event all I was trying to do was keep the approach on the fairway so I was playing in from a good lie on the fairway.

My biggest fault is not taking the time to assess situations and the options available. Sometimes a penalty drop is the right action and can still set up a bogey which is never a card buster.

This. Surprising how playing to where you can see on a new course or at home in poor conditions (fog, frost etc) can automatically introduce good management and a decent score.