Backswing

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Right some basics: been playing nearly a year - HCP 25 - PB 90

Went to the range today to have a little session and try the RBZ driver which is compared to my current driver amazing. When I had finished with the excitment of testing the RBZ and hitting drives further than I ever have I got my mate to record me hitting my 7 iron on a swing app on his i-Phone. When I watched my swing back I was horrified to see how long my backswing was and how many problems it was causing me and Is the obvious reason I am inconsistent with my full iron shots.

For the remainder of the session I hit 7 and 6 irons with a lot shorter backswing and the results amazed me, I was striking the ball alot better and 80% of around 50 balls where nice and straight and alot longer than they ever have been, the bad shots where hit fat.

So was the very long almost hitting the opposite side of my face swings the problem to my inconsistent iron play???

Cant wait to implement this swing change permently and enjoy hitting more GIR :)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
My back swing has reduced by probably 90 degrees and I have gained a yard or 2, but accuracy and consistency has improved ten fold. I try and stop the back swing at 12o'clock now, rather than being able to see the club head from my left eye! Classic thoughts of, if I hit it really hard, it must go really far! Lesson learnt, my playing partners on Saturday mentioned how lazy and slow my swing looked, then I shot 41 points and was 4 under hcap....

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For the remainder of the session I hit 7 and 6 irons with a lot shorter backswing and the results amazed me, I was striking the ball alot better and 80% of around 50 balls where nice and straight and alot longer than they ever have been, the bad shots where hit fat.

So was the very long almost hitting the opposite side of my face swings the problem to my inconsistent iron play???

The further the club goes on the way back, the further it has to go to get back to the ball, and the longer it travels the more chance it has of not being returned where you want it to.

I think you've just seen how much more distance you can get by hitting the sweet spot consistently.

It's a great lesson to learn, but a hard one to stick to when you're on the course and think you can just get a little more distance if you hit it harder. :)

Good luck with it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
my playing partners on Saturday mentioned how lazy and slow my swing looked, then I shot 41 points and was 4 under hcap....

you have nice partners - mine commented (afterwards) just how short my backswing was with all clubs....:mad: but 3 under CSS and hitting it miles with the driver :whistle:

Region3 sums up the key issue for us mortals; but changing the length of a backswing in isolation will cause tempo issues so it's not a quick fix (for some it might resolve tempo issues of course!)

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Not wishing to hijack.
I've been working on shortening my backswing too. Good results seen with the irons. More distance, better accuracy and ball flight.
Seem to be struggling with the driver though. My driver swing is on a much lower plane and more round the body. I do hit it fairly straight and long (for me) with the overswing. Just finding it difficult to shorten the driver swing without it becoming a bit mechanical and rigid.

Thoughts please?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not wishing to hijack.
I've been working on shortening my backswing too. Good results seen with the irons. More distance, better accuracy and ball flight.
Seem to be struggling with the driver though. My driver swing is on a much lower plane and more round the body. I do hit it fairly straight and long (for me) with the overswing. Just finding it difficult to shorten the driver swing without it becoming a bit mechanical and rigid.

Thoughts please?
Not keen on having significantly different swing for Irons vs Driver. All clubs should be basically the same imo - though all slightly different as well (because club is a different length).

So, if you keep them different, I'd suggest you keep the Driver swing as it was. After all, you state you 'hit it fairly straight and long', so why change it?

Have you considered swinging the irons more like the Driver - though without overswing?

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Thanks for the reply foxholer.
I have shortened my iron backswing, with good results.
I've tried swinging the driver like the irons, ie more upright, but end up with a massive slice. Think it's due to lack of shoulder turn and an out to in swing. I find the more round the body low swing promotes a better turn.

I'm just finding it a bit difficult shortening the driver swing at the moment. Any drills or tips to groove in a shorter swing please?

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had the same thing to me today. Couldn't hit my 9 iron. My mate has a look and says "what club is that?". "9 iron", I reply. "Probably want to shorten your swing, you're going back like it's a driver". Rest of the session, far more clean strikes.

Just have to remember, there's always a lower lofted club in my bag.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd love to permanently shorten my backswing.

Yesterday I was hitting short irons with 1/2 swings doing a specific drill......the ball was going further and crisper with less swing but better impact.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the reply foxholer.
I have shortened my iron backswing, with good results.
I've tried swinging the driver like the irons, ie more upright, but end up with a massive slice. Think it's due to lack of shoulder turn and an out to in swing. I find the more round the body low swing promotes a better turn.

I'm just finding it a bit difficult shortening the driver swing at the moment. Any drills or tips to groove in a shorter swing please?

firstly I sort of agree with Foxholer, the swings should feel the same length but will actually be different as a function of the club length.

second, a shorter backswing should get rid of everything except the shoulder turn! that's the bit the keep/use........that IS the turn.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am still working on reducing my backswing. It gets across the line at the top (not a good thing for a one plane swing) and when I get it shorter I hit it better. Simple but true. However after years of going too long its a hard habit to break. My tour tempo tracks on the I-pod help the timing but I really need someone to stand behind me regularly. I can get it shorter but the more balls I hit the old habit comes back and I need someone to be able to let me know as soon as it does. What's HID doing tomorrow night?