Back Tee colours / Flag colours

evemccc

Visit site
Why is there such a colour difference in the Back Tees/Tips/Competition Tees etc?

How did this some about as pretty much Yellow and Red are standardised across America and GB&I, but I’ve seen courses where Black, Blue, White and Orange are the furthest back?

With WHS and changes to Men’s and Women’s in the naming of Yellow and Red, is there going to be a standardisation of tee colours?

And come to think of it, flag colours too. I’ve played courses where Yellow is the Front 9 and Red the Back, and courses where White denotes pin at the back of the green, Yellow in the centre and Red at the front. Why has there to date been no standardisation of this? Are there moves to do this?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think white are normally standard competition tees aren't they? Then blue or black are generally 'championship tees' or something or other?

If you play at Wexham Park, the yellow tees are actually blue. Probably because the 18-hole course is called the 'blue course'. That is unusual though.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play quite a bit in Sweden, there the tees are the first two digits of the length, the forward tees could be 52 signifying 5,200 metres, middle tees 58 for 5,800 metres and back tees 62 for 6,200 metres for e.g.

Most UK courses I have played have white tees as competition only, yellow standard and red as ladies.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Blue tees are often junior tees at clubs near to me but then were the back tees, championship, at some away clubs I played at this season o_O.

Put it down to a quirk. I don't think standardisation of flags or tee colours is high on the agenda for golf clubs so don't expect a change any time soon.

D

Deleted member 3432

Our normal comp tees are white and the very back or 'championship' tees are blue.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I play quite a bit in Sweden, there the tees are the first two digits of the length, the forward tees could be 52 signifying 5,200 metres, middle tees 58 for 5,800 metres and back tees 62 for 6,200 metres for e.g.
I like that idea!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've seen blue, purple, gold and black as the very back tees, probably others too that I can't remember right now.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Tees just standardized their sequence here recently across the courses

On full size courses the furthest back tees are black for Professional Tour comps
The whites are elite comps/scratch/Cat 1
Our usual comp tees are the gold/yellow
In front of the yellow we have blue used for casual play and senior comps (I guess equivalent to UK yellow)
then Red for ladies
Green is shortest set for juniors/new players

Flags are normally branded for the course or are at least one kind and don't change front and back
(I can only think of one hole on the whole island where you can see another green from a fairway and might need assistance to make sure you go for the correct one)

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hate it when clubs do something like yellow flags on 1-9 red on 10-18. I'm red green colour blind and really struggle to see red flags on a lot of courses.

D

Deleted member 1147

Clubs choose what colours they want.
With WHS coming in, each tee will be rated, and when you play at that course use the corresponding tee colour/slope etc as required.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I think we should aim for less standardization, not more. I think standardization will just encourage the "red tees are for women only" attitude; which could do with being dumped altogether. I'm in favour of rating all tees for all players and then choosing the set that most fits your ability and mood.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A links course near to me uses red and white check flags, similar to Croatia football shirts. Remarkably effective to pick out against an often pale or washed out background.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Flags
We use the 3 colour system to denote rough pin positions relative to front, middle and back. It is on our card and there are signs on the course.

Tee colours depends on which of our courses you are playing. The main course only has 3 tees red, yellow and white.
The nine hole course has white, yellow and red but they are not sex dependent as front and back nine tees may be used by depending on the card. For 18 holes men play white and yellow and ladies play red and yellow.

The use of blue I find confusing as I have played courses where it means a tee located further back, sometimes known as competition tees and other courses where it is used for the front most tee.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our Front/Middle/Back flags are Red/Yellow/White - our rarely out 'prestige' comp flags being Blue (with club emblem). Not great when the Blue flags are out as you can't tell where hole is on the green unless pin position chart is provided or you have a gizmo. However the truth is that as we have relatively small greens - if I hit my ball to the middle of the green then most times I'll have a reasonable chance birdie putt.

Tees are white back, yellow forward.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
The tees at my club - front to back:
Red - ladies
Yellow - visitors
White - members
Blue - competition

We have 3 falg colours, used to denote the general position of the hole on the green:
Red - front
Yellow - middle
White - back

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think we use either all white flags and on the odd occasion red for the back 9. Nairn Dunbar use white, Blue and red for front middle back, which is great in theory, unless someone forgets to put the pins in those spots:LOL:

tee wise we changed from Red, Yellow, White and Blue to Silver, Green, Blue, White and Black all of which are rated.

i don't really see any need to standardise as long as the info in there for people to see before you play

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
At Bearwood Lakes, the usual comp tees are whites, the back tees are black, ladies tees red and there is another set (blue) put out occasionally between yellow and red for the ladies club champs and some junior comps. Most people play off the whites all the time. In fact, I don't think I have played off the yellow in 15 years there.

Anyone can play off whatever tee they like (except in comps, obvs), the only proviso is that you have to tell the pro shop if playing off the blacks at the 1st because a bit of marshalling is needed because it is behind the path down to the practice area.

Last edited: