Attending the Ryder Cup

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
I've managed to get my hands on a ticket to the Sunday of the Ryder Cup through a workmate. Now I've just to figure out the best way of getting up there from London. Does anyone have any views on whether I'm better off flying to Edinburgh or Glasgow? It appears that the train ride from Glasgow is about half an hour shorter than from Edinburgh. Assuming that is correct then I suppose its just down to flight prices/availabilities.

My plan will be to either fly up on the Friday night/Saturday morning and try to get a round in somewhere good on the Saturday (either near Glasgow or Edinburgh depending on which way I go about getting there) if I can get a teetime or otherwise I'll play in our Saturday stableford and fly up on Saturday night. It would be great to also get any suggestions on good courses I could realistically get onto at this late stage in those areas on a Saturday.

Cheers
Oldmate

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've managed to get my hands on a ticket to the Sunday of the Ryder Cup through a workmate. Now I've just to figure out the best way of getting up there from London. Does anyone have any views on whether I'm better off flying to Edinburgh or Glasgow? It appears that the train ride from Glasgow is about half an hour shorter than from Edinburgh. Assuming that is correct then I suppose its just down to flight prices/availabilities.

My plan will be to either fly up on the Friday night/Saturday morning and try to get a round in somewhere good on the Saturday (either near Glasgow or Edinburgh depending on which way I go about getting there) if I can get a teetime or otherwise I'll play in our Saturday stableford and fly up on Saturday night. It would be great to also get any suggestions on good courses I could realistically get onto at this late stage in those areas on a Saturday.

Cheers
Oldmate

If you go, I hope you aren't going to be yelling out your avatar after every drive!

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I thought all the tickets had photos on them???

The difference between train times from Edinburgh and Glasgow will be minimal IMO, not really worth worrying about. Staying in either place would be fine. There are special trains for the Ryder cup from Edinburgh and these will be mega busy, if not already booked out.
As for playing golf a lot of clubs have their competitions on a Saturday so you might struggle for a game.

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought all the tickets had photos on them???

The difference between train times from Edinburgh and Glasgow will be minimal IMO, not really worth worrying about. Staying in either place would be fine. There are special trains for the Ryder cup from Edinburgh and these will be mega busy, if not already booked out.
As for playing golf a lot of clubs have their competitions on a Saturday so you might struggle for a game.

Thanks Simbo, looks like I'll go via Edinburgh then. I've noticed that the trains are very limited. The ticket is a corporate one (I haven't actually seen it yet) which apparently can be shared (I hope!).