Attending my first golf event - looking for tips and advice

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm a big fan of watching the players short games. So I like to spend time near the greens on par 5's, as you get to see plenty of pitching and chipping etc.
If you like to see approach play, it's good to sit behind a par 3's tee for a while, as you get to see the swing/strike and where the ball ends up.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Remember to yell "GET IN THE HOLEEEEEE" after every...single...shot! Who knows, it might even get you discounts at future events!
Or alternatively punch anyone who shouts "get in the hole", "mashed potatoes", "Chewbacca". You might get chucked out but you will be a true legend forever and you're pretty certain to be on TV / youtube :LOL:

More seriously, have a good look at a course planner / google earth before you get there. Courses frequently have a couple of congestion points where you will be able to see the action on a few holes. They're good places to park yourself for a while.

If there's any big names groups that you really want to see it's a good idea to get to a good viewing spot a couple of groups early. Generally a big bulge of spectators follows the big names so get in place before the bulge arrives.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It can also be good to stand roughly where slightly wayward drives will land, you get a close up view of the players, what they’re discussing with their caddy etc and maybe your mug on tv! I did this a few years ago at the British masters, Garcia ended up in the trees and being one of the first there I got a good view of him weaving his ball through a gap.

Personally think it’s a case of doing a bit of everything, standing behind a tee for a while, following a group for a few holes, standing next to a green for a while (and a rest!) etc etc.

I’ve only been to one, loved it, enjoy ??

sunshine

Visit site
It can also be good to stand roughly where slightly wayward drives will land,

This is very unusual advice. Maybe the lady at the Ryder Cup who was blinded when a drive from Koepka hit her was following your advice?

Also, if a drive hits you, the player will give you a free glove or ball. Maybe if you're seriously injured you'll get a bigger gift or taken out for dinner. The more blood on you, the more guilty the golfer will feel, especially if he didn't shout fore, so consider taking some sachets of ketchup or fake blood to complete the look.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd keep an eye on the weather forecast which is usually pretty accurate and take clothes accordingly . East Lothian in July is far more likely to be warm and dry than cold and wet. Personally I find binoculars handy but carrying too much is an encumbrance and I've never taken food.

Raziren

Visit site
if you don't want to miss any particular players, find the 18th green and work backwards. you'll get to see most of the players that way (providing there isnt a 2 tee start).

Fabia999

Visit site
I'm also going to this event and this will be my first so I'm glad you created this thread as I was gunna ask a similar question.

What is the dress code like? I'm also taking my partner and she isn't a golfer so what would her dress code be too?

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm also going to this event and this will be my first so I'm glad you created this thread as I was gunna ask a similar question.

What is the dress code like? I'm also taking my partner and she isn't a golfer so what would her dress code be too?
There isn't a dress code per se.
You just need to consider that you'll be outdoors for a long time, with uneven grass underfoot.
I usually wear golf clothing, as it's made for those very conditions. A pair of golf trousers or shorts (but usually choose the pair most like "normal" chinos/jeans), spikeless golf shoes, thin layers, so if you have to take a layer off it isn't bulky or heavy to carry around.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ive been to a couple of golf events and I just wore my golf stuff. It's built for courses after all. I mean you won't get pulled for socks or shoes etc or a hoody

For example going to the open in a few weeks if it's hot golf shorts and top.. with waterproof jacket and hat in bag.. if cold golf trousers and top with jacket in bag etc

Just makes things easier

I've bought one them bucket hats just because they fold up so small in the bag

Shoe wise I'm going spikeless golf shoe as again their built for the course

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Do a bit of everything- follow some groups for while, stay in places and watch a few groups come through, dodge round the course and dont necessarily go round in chronological hole order, and definitely go to the range and see how the players warm up for their round. Find out where your favourite players are and make sure you see them if only for a few holes. Dont cart round loads of stuff, go as light as you can and just for this once, expensive as it is, buy food at the village, it saves eating hot melted sandwiches and black bananas - after all you dont go to only a few tournaments in your life!

Mostly, enjoy the day!

sunshine

Visit site
As posted earlier, a question for the people wearing golf gear: Are you expecting for a late call up to play in the tournament? You do realise that you are going to watch golf not play golf?

sunshine

Visit site
Ive been to a couple of golf events and I just wore my golf stuff. It's built for courses after all. I mean you won't get pulled for socks or shoes etc or a hoody

For example going to the open in a few weeks if it's hot golf shorts and top.. with waterproof jacket and hat in bag.. if cold golf trousers and top with jacket in bag etc

Just makes things easier

I've bought one them bucket hats just because they fold up so small in the bag

Shoe wise I'm going spikeless golf shoe as again their built for the course

FKW!!!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I usually wear hiking shoes… don’t forget, most of the time you’ll be walking in the rough, not on the fairways.

Decent breakfast somewhere away from the course. It’ll be cheaper and way better. A burger and fries will be expensive, for lunch, but won’t break the bank.

Save your pennies and go to a tour event in Southern Europe. Entry is cheap, and food is sensibly priced. We’re booked for the Spanish Masters in Oct. €10 a day to get in. 4* hotel for €70 a night. And virtually no crowds.

sunshine

Visit site
I usually wear hiking shoes… don’t forget, most of the time you’ll be walking in the rough, not on the fairways.

Decent breakfast somewhere away from the course. It’ll be cheaper and way better. A burger and fries will be expensive, for lunch, but won’t break the bank.

Save your pennies and go to a tour event in Southern Europe. Entry is cheap, and food is sensibly priced. We’re booked for the Spanish Masters in Oct. €10 a day to get in. 4* hotel for €70 a night. And virtually no crowds.

Any European Tour event outside the UK&I is played at an empty course. Especially when they go to random places... I remember there was an event in Bulgaria for a few years and the crowd consisted of a couple of local farmers who had wondered in by accident and a local shepherd who had lost one of his flock.

When I lived in Paris I went to the final round of the French Open and there was hardly anyone there.