At what stage of winter golf is your Club in?

What is the current situation at your Club?

• No Preferred Lies in operation - Q Comps & scores

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • No Preferred Lies in operation - No Q Comps & scores

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for voluntary fairway mats - Q Comps & scores

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for voluntary fairway mats - No Q Comps & scores

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for Mandatory fairway mats - Q Comps & scores

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for Mandatory fairway mats - No Q Comps & scores

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
MLR E-3
... the Committee can choose to adopt a Local Rule for “preferred lies” (also known as “winter rules”) to allow fair play or help protect the fairway.

Protecting the fairway only occurs if you force players to move their ball to the first cut.

I don't know of any courses in my region where clubs force players into the first cut over the winter. Therefore preferred lies should only really be in force when the conditions justify it and that players would potentially be unfairly penalised as a result of the conditions. It just seems that it is an automatic decision to go to preferred lies on 1st October because the authorities say you can...without taking any consideration into the actual playing conditions.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So why have preferred lies (not having a dig by the way)?

Preferred lies are supposed to help the golfer to avoid unfair situations such as where their ball might collect mud in soft conditions.....but if those conditions don't exist.....why have preferred lies?

I don't get it at my place when it is now seemingly standard practice to go to preferred lies on 1st October, irrespective of the condition of the course.

it stops the in, out shake it all about approach which just confuses players (we went to PLs on the 8th due the amount of mud balls rather than the general course condition).

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Surely the reason for preferred lies at this time of the year is not so much to protect the course but to allow you to lift, clean and place your ball if needed.

Exactly. And certainly at my place.....it is not needed....yet every year we automatically go on to preferred lies on 1st October.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Preferred lies, no mats, qualifiers all winter. White tees will not be used from next week - yellows or Reds only
A couple of the par3s go onto mats if the tee box gets too much hammer...other than that it's business as usual.
Which is exactly why we play there.....(y)

MACM85

Visit site
My home course is preffered lies on cut grass. No mats, We don't have temp tees or greens as drains really well. Comps stay as qualifying

IanMcC

Visit site
Preferred Lies General Area
Comps, but no Qualifiers till 3rd week in March.
Rake & place in bunkers.
Buggy status updated when required on ClubV1 Course Status.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Preferred lies on closely mown areas for last 2 weeks.
Tomorrow is our last 18 hole Q comp, we then move to 14 hole non Q comps off the mats.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Better than no golf for 4-5 months. It really isn't that big a deal to hit off a mat and it's a definite improvement on getting a face full of mud.
Yes this ^^^^^^ + carry just half a set then hit off a mat surface as good as a Summer heathland fairway........ & there are some very beautiful Winter days.

Springveldt

Visit site
I don’t know if it’s just me but I would rather not play if I had to carry and use a fairway mat!
I’d rather still get out than be dragged out shopping with the wife and kids.

When your only chance of a game is Saturday morning then I’ll be out playing unless it’s a hurricane.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Better than no golf for 4-5 months. It really isn't that big a deal to hit off a mat and it's a definite improvement on getting a face full of mud.
The general consensus around our course seems to be that the mats are the future, they protect the course and the golf is much more enjoyable, so much so that the daily roll up are allowing them in the rough.
On the theme of protecting the course. I played last week and as I was placing my mat noticed two divots closed by, absolute beauties they were, 8 inches long and deep. Two divots cause by a fool who can't conform and who leaves damage that won't even start repairing for 6 months.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The general consensus around our course seems to be that the mats are the future, they protect the course and the golf is much more enjoyable, so much so that the daily roll up are allowing them in the rough.
On the theme of protecting the course. I played last week and as I was placing my mat noticed two divots closed by, absolute beauties they were, 8 inches long and deep. Two divots cause by a fool who can't conform and who leaves damage that won't even start repairing for 6 months.
I played at an away course today, no mats. Heavy rain overnight and this morning meant soggy conditions, lots of worm casts. My clubs were constantly muddy, lots of mud spray, my trousers were heavily muddy below the knee, lots of mud shots. Mats would have been much more preferable.

sunshine

Visit site
I played last week and as I was placing my mat noticed two divots closed by, absolute beauties they were, 8 inches long and deep. Two divots cause by a fool who can't conform and who leaves damage that won't even start repairing for 6 months.

6 months with zero growth. Where are you? The North Pole?