Artificial Grass

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
For some, using artificial grass is the only viable option for smaller areas. I would prefer live grass in my back garden, but due to the size, shading, water drainage, the real grass we had simply didn't take (several attempts, even professionals) and would never last the winter, not helped by my two boys continually playing football in the summer on it. Come this time of year and beyond, it just became a mud pit and then unusable for 6-8 months of the year. With the artificial grass, the rear space is usable all year around.

I've never had to use weedkiller or similar at all - just a few jet washes or leaf blower. As a side benefit, the rest of the garden (i.e. the borders) are fully used now - previously, they were laid waste because of the continual mud in the main grass area. Butterflies and bees are now happier :)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not a fan of carpeting gardens.;)

You need to watch out for flooding in small enclosed spaces.
Guy in Swindon was delighted with block paving his back courtyard garden.
Yesterday with nowhere else for the water to go, his house was badly flooded with the deluge.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

Yesterday with nowhere else for the water to go, his house was badly flooded with the deluge.
Which was why on mine they put two drains in and sent the excess water to the drain. No puddles on the lawn.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Thanks for the replies folk. Definitely food for thought. As it is at the front of the house, between the drive and front path, I'm a bit concerned about the aesthetics - does it look just too neat and tidy and obviously artificial. I've seen samples but I think that I need to see one "in the flesh" so to speak.

One advantage, as I understand it, is that if necessary, it will take manouvering cars on it as it is installed over a MOT Type 1 base. I've had one contractor round already and he says that he happily parks his car on it.

Thanks again. (y)
You can stripe it to make it look like real grass.
Funnily enough, one of my old golfing pals had someone knock at his door and ask where he got his artificial grass from. He told them it was a real lawn, just well looked after. Mind you, he had no kids, dogs, etc.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Nor am I. It's the front driveway. ;)

It's not a small enclosed space, it's the front driveway. It's porous artificial grass.

Thanks for the input though (y)