Artificial Grass Greens

• Thread starter Deleted member 21445
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21445

Always thought with the advances in artificial grass that using it for greens would have so many benefits.

Great surfaces at all times, no deseases and save a ton of money.

A Florida Golf course has replaced all 18 greens

Could this become more popular in the future ?

HPIMG

Visit site
My place has a large practice artificial green next to out real practice green. Never see anyone on the artificial green, I’ve tried it a few times it’s horrible to put on in my opinion.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My place has a large practice artificial green next to out real practice green. Never see anyone on the artificial green, I’ve tried it a few times it’s horrible to put on in my opinion.
Yeah, might as well be playing crazy golf. Don't think it'll catch on.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I can't see an artificial green holding up through the variations of our climate.
And large, rolling areas will be hard to keep true and without seams showing through.

Once damaged or worn an artificial green would be costly to repair, unlike a grass green where you can put seed down, top dress, mow, etc as necessary.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Contrary to popular belief, artificial grass is not maintenance free and can take a lot of looking after. Played hockey for many years and a lot of the council 'maintained' pitches had big problems with moss, etc growing on them. This, along with the environmental concerns will put most clubs off installing them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Contrary to popular belief, artificial grass is not maintenance free and can take a lot of looking after. Played hockey for many years and a lot of the council 'maintained' pitches had big problems with moss, etc growing on them. This, along with the environmental concerns will put most clubs off installing them.
Ditto to this comment

My son had his lawn changed to artificial grass and he still has a major problem with weeds.

Many years ago we built winter tees with artificial grass and have abandoned them due to the problems with this type of surface in the open air.

sjw

Visit site
Ditto to this comment

My son had his lawn changed to artificial grass and he still has a major problem with weeds.

Many years ago we built winter tees with artificial grass and have abandoned them due to the problems with this type of surface in the open air.
Artificial grass having problems in the open air :LOL:

What are you supposed to do with it - put it inside? Bring it in for the winter?

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
Have a couple of artificial greens at one of the ranges I use. One putting green and a chipping area, both utterly useless when it comes to realistic feedback.

Needless to say they are never used.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Artificial grass having problems in the open air :LOL:

What are you supposed to do with it - put it inside? Bring it in for the winter?

Actually they could pull the artificial grass up and store it in the sheds in summer and did so a couple of years but before storing it they had to pressure washer it which was quite a time consuming job.

We now have artificial mats (of a much better quality) laid out on top of the usual tees and these are only out in winter, whether or not they pressure wash these I do not know.

Reactions: sjw