Are Yanks Welcome___at least coastal ones?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
OK, folks, the American internet golf forums have had their fill of this aging boomer already, so here I am.
I've only visited the UK a couple of times but I found it more like home than interior America in some ways.
Never got to play on your legendary courses, but I did enjoy the West End Theater.
My daughter spent her junior year of university in London. Great town.
Plus I watch lots of your TV--Foyle's War is my all time favorite cop show. (Honeysuckle Week's sister is on an American series..the remake of Magnum PI.)

OK, let's talk golf--as soon as the snow melts.

I walk my dog every day. I curl dumbells right out of bed--in the matching onesy Christmas pajamas that my daughter bought for the entire family...including the dog.
I'm already in great shape to ride a golf cart. That's what fat-ass American seniors do!

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey. Welcome buddy. You should fit in well with your (almost) British sense of humour;) If you can avoid commenting on threads relating to politics, religion and football (soccer) then you shouldn't get too much aggro on here. Did you sample our "warm beer" when you visited? To my mind, Bud and Miller Light leave something to be desired ..........

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Hey. Welcome buddy. You should fit in well with your (almost) British sense of humour;) If you can avoid commenting on threads relating to politics, religion and football (soccer) then you shouldn't get too much aggro on here. Did you sample our "warm beer" when you visited? To my mind, Bud and Miller Light leave something to be desired ..........

Bud and Miller Lite (that's how they spell it) taste like dishwater. We drink beer cold so that we don't have to taste it. Good beer tastes fine at room temperature. I like Guinness which is unfortunately Irish but they sell it in London pubs. They sell it in American bars, too. Sometimes on top of Bass Ale in a two-tone configuration. I have a Welsh Terrior of roughly the same color (colour?). Welsh terrorist, really.

I obviously know London is a great city. Town used in that contest is an American thing. When I lived in Boston, which is tiny compared to London but definitely a world city nonetheless, we'd say "I'll be out of town for a couple of days." Or , "That's one of the best restaurants in town."

Politics can be a problem. I don't know much about your man Boris, but Trump is a (expletive deleted) of the lowest order. If you like him, you can have him.
Also, your NHS is the standard of the civilized world. We'll be dead last to socialized medicine just as we were last to abolish slavery--you sent all of your most socially regressive people here, apparently. If you'd like some of your great empire back, you're more than welcome to all of our Republican (Tory) voting states.

Wow! That's quite a golf discussion!

Last edited by a moderator:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bud and Miller Lite (that's how they spell it) taste like dishwater. We drink beer cold so that we don't have to taste it. Good beer tastes fine at room temperature. I like Guinness which is unfortunately Irish but they sell it in London pubs. They sell it in American bars, too. Sometimes on top of Bass Ale in a two-tone configuration. I have a Welsh Terrior of roughly the same color (colour?). Welsh terrorist, really.

I obviously know London is a great city. Town used in that contest is an American thing. When I lived in Boston, which is tiny compared to London but definitely a world city nonetheless, we'd say "I'll be out of town for a couple of days." Or , "That's one of the best restaurants in town."

Politics can be a problem. I don't know much about your man Boris, but Trump is a pigfucker of the lowest order. If you like him, you can have him.
Also, your NHS is the standard of the civilized world. We'll be dead last to socialized medicine just as we were last to abolish slavery--you sent all of your most socially regressive people here, apparently. If you'd like some of your great empire back, you're more than welcome to all of our Republican (Tory) voting states.

Wow! That's quite a golf discussion!

Oh dear. One day in and well on the way to your first infraction. Welcome and stick around.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Welcome. It’s a pretty friendly bunch here. Having listened to American podcasts and reading Facebook pages you lot seem on a completely different wavelength at times so there should be quite a bit of banter heading your way ?

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi and welcome. I’m coming over to America on Tuesday for 5 games of golf (can’t wait) so might see you over there. America’s not that big is it? We’re staying in a little village called Scotsdale, hoping for some dry and warm weather.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi and welcome. I’m coming over to America on Tuesday for 5 games of golf (can’t wait) so might see you over there. America’s not that big is it? We’re staying in a little village called Scotsdale, hoping for some dry and warm weather.

When I've been to the State's they always have family back home and wonder whether we'd know them, even though we have 60+ million residents and theirs live 500 miles away from us ??

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh goody, a real 'Murican. Perhaps you can answer some questions us reserved Brits have, such as why do some of you shout "Get in the hole!" on a tee shot on a par 5, "Mashed Potato!" and "Yaba Daba Dooooo!" ??? :)

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Only idiots yell "Get in the hole," but unfortunately, we have no shortage of them. (Reference the 2016 election).
Mashed potato might have something to do with a hickory-shafted mashie, but I'm not sure. I do know that they'll launch a potato only 40 or 50 feet at most.
"Yaba Daba Dooooo," a quote from 1960s cartoon character Fred Flintstone, is usually uttered only by our White Anglo Saxon Protestent morons.
Our more ethnic morons like myself (Sicilian-American) clench our fists and say, "Bada Bing!"