Are Titleist clubs only for the experience golfer ?

AndyUK

Visit site
Hi - I've always liked golf and have now taken it up after a running injury. I'm not very good at the mo and am investing in a some lessons, have also been regularly visiting the driving range and enjoying it very much.

I've been given almost a full set of Titleist clubs from a friend who upgraded. They are really nice, some are almost new and others slightly older. However, I was told by another friend that as a beginner these clubs won't suit me and could even prevent me from progressing my game as they are made for far more experienced golfers.

My question is, should I sell these and invest in some clubs that are aimed at beginners, and if so what brands should I consider, do I even need a full set. Or, it does seem a real shame to get rid of these clubs, should I continue using them ?

Any thoughts / help would be very much appreciated !
Cheers

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Welcome aboard, what model are the irons? Titleist do make game improvement irons as well as more experienced players irons.

Hi - I've always liked golf and have now taken it up after a running injury. I'm not very good at the mo and am investing in a some lessons, have also been regularly visiting the driving range and enjoying it very much.

I've been given almost a full set of Titleist clubs from a friend who upgraded. They are really nice, some are almost new and others slightly older. However, I was told by another friend that as a beginner these clubs won't suit me and could even prevent me from progressing my game as they are made for far more experienced golfers.

My question is, should I sell these and invest in some clubs that are aimed at beginners, and if so what brands should I consider, do I even need a full set. Or, it does seem a real shame to get rid of these clubs, should I continue using them ?

Any thoughts / help would be very much appreciated !
Cheers

AndyUK

Visit site
Welcome aboard, what model are the irons? Titleist do make game improvement irons as well as more experienced players irons.
Actually the irons are Nike forged 7, 8, 9 & P. Rest of the clubs are Titleist Driver, 3 Wood, Hybrid, 2 Vockey wedges. The putter is Taylormade

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It all depends on what model they are but Titleist are my favourite brand I'd say so I'd encourage you to keep them!

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Actually the irons are Nike forged 7, 8, 9 & P. Rest of the clubs are Titleist Driver, 3 Wood, Hybrid, 2 Vockey wedges. The putter is Taylormade

Specifically what are they though, can you take some pictures and post them up?

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Titleist make clubs for just about everyone of every ability. I don't really like to pigeon-hole clubs based on handicap and experience simply because it doesn't always work that way. Some players can hit just about anything well, but by the same token some players can't hit anything and even the most super-game improvement club is still of no use if you're hitting it all over the face of the club.
My advice is to stick with the lessons and enjoyment before making any decisions on equipment (which your instructor could help you with). The Titleist mantra is (or used to be) "serious clubs for serious golfers" so if you're serious about progressing in golfing ability, I would recommend them to anyone. Quick point though - golf clubs are rarely if ever an "investment" simply because the lose value the longer you keep them - the more you pay, the more you lose - a bit like depreciation of cars. What is a solid "investment" though is knowledge - i.e. golf lessons. The beauty is, you can carry that knowledge throughout your golfing life and apply it to any piece of equipment you'll ever own. Not a bad proposition when you think about it.

Last edited:

AndyUK

Visit site
Thanks, in the set is:
Titlest bag
Nike VRS Forged 6,7,8 & P Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki Flex-R shafts
Titlest 913D3 Driver Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Flex-R shaft
Titlest 913F Fairway 3wood 15degree
Titlest 913H Hybrid 21degree Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Flex-R shaft
Titlest Vokey SM5 60degree
Titlest Vokey SM5 52degree
Taylormade Ghost Tour Montecarlo 12

AndyUK

Visit site
Great advice, thanks !

Titleist make clubs for just about everyone of every ability. I don't really like to pigeon-hole clubs based on handicap and experience simply because it doesn't always work that way. Some players can hit just about anything well, but by the same token some players can hit anything and even the most super-game improvement club is still of no use if you're hitting it all over the face of the club.
My advice is to stick with the lessons and enjoyment before making any decisions on equipment (which your instructor could help you with). The Titleist mantra is (or used to be) "serious clubs for serious golfers" so if you're serious about progressing in golfing ability, I would recommend them to anyone. Quick point though - golf clubs are rarely if ever an "investment" simply because the lose value the longer you keep them - the more you pay, the more you lose - a bit like depreciation of cars. What is a solid "investment" though is knowledge - i.e. golf lessons. The beauty is, you can carry that knowledge throughout your golfing life and apply it to any piece of equipment you'll ever own. Not a bad proposition when you think about it.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm really surprised that you have been given Vokey SM5s as they are only a few months old. You want to keep friends like that. ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Thats one hell of a set of clubs you have been given

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks, in the set is:
Titlest bag
Nike VRS Forged 6,7,8 & P Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki Flex-R shafts
Titlest 913D3 Driver Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Flex-R shaft
Titlest 913F Fairway 3wood 15degree
Titlest 913H Hybrid 21degree Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Flex-R shaft
Titlest Vokey SM5 60degree
Titlest Vokey SM5 52degree
Taylormade Ghost Tour Montecarlo 12

Begs the question....what has he upgraded to?

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats a hell of a handmedown! prob around £600 worth there.
Seems your missing a few irons other than that stick with em, I'm a 15 hcper and I can hit titleist just fine, I nearly bought a 913D3 last night! Nobody makes bad clubs these days and most of them are pretty forgiving.