Are over 70’s allowed to play golf..?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Medal Winner
Visit site
Do we have a definitive answer as to whether over 70’s (all of whom are defined as “clinically vulnerable, regardless of medical conditions”) are now allowed to play golf?

How about those on the smaller “clinically extremely vulnerable” list?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do we have a definitive answer as to whether over 70’s (all of whom are defined as “clinically vulnerable, regardless of medical conditions”) are now allowed to play golf?

This one - not in the extremely vulnerable group - tees off at 10 this morning.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
2.1 Does easing restrictions apply to healthy 70 year olds and over?
The advice for those aged 70 and over continues to be that they should take particular care to minimise contact with others outside their household.

If they do go out more frequently, they should be careful to maintain distance from others. They and everyone should continue to comply with any general social distancing restrictions.

We know that those aged 70 and over can be absolutely fit and healthy and it’s not the case that everybody over 70 has a chronic health condition or an underlying disease.

But unfortunately, we also know that as you get older, there is a higher risk of coronavirus having a more serious impact with infection. Complications and deaths are more common in the elderly, even those without pre-existing conditions.

Anyone who has been advised to shield by the NHS or their GP, including those 70 and over, should continue to do this until at least the end of June.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have mate who I know is on the critically endangered list of species

From the start sheet I expect to wave to him sometime today despite what he said before going in to lock down.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Didn't wear a mask at the golf club - I was involved in the plans for starting golf again so I was very happy with arrangements. Did some shopping at LIDL on way home - wore a mask and gloves.

Doodle

Visit site

Lol.
I tee'd off at 10:44 this morning.
The course was choc a bloc with Seniors.
Most were in their 70's & quite a few in their 80's.
From what I have been reading, they were all gagging to get back to playing.

sunshine

Visit site
2.1 Does easing restrictions apply to healthy 70 year olds and over?
The advice for those aged 70 and over continues to be that they should take particular care to minimise contact with others outside their household.

If they do go out more frequently, they should be careful to maintain distance from others. They and everyone should continue to comply with any general social distancing restrictions.

We know that those aged 70 and over can be absolutely fit and healthy and it’s not the case that everybody over 70 has a chronic health condition or an underlying disease.

But unfortunately, we also know that as you get older, there is a higher risk of coronavirus having a more serious impact with infection. Complications and deaths are more common in the elderly, even those without pre-existing conditions.

Anyone who has been advised to shield by the NHS or their GP, including those 70 and over, should continue to do this until at least the end of June.

If I am interpreting the last line correctly, all those 70 and older should continue to shield until at least the end of June.

I'm all for free will, but golf clubs should be looking after their membership and refusing to permits golfers over 70 from playing. No different to a pub landlord refusing to serve a regular who has had too much to drink.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If I am interpreting the last line correctly, all those 70 and older should continue to shield until at least the end of June.

I'm all for free will, but golf clubs should be looking after their membership and refusing to permits golfers over 70 from playing. No different to a pub landlord refusing to serve a regular who has had too much to drink.

I think the line, "if they do go out more frequently..." suggests they can go out. And its full of "should," not "must."

But, as you think 70 yr olds should be refused access, why not have a 70's day when those under 70 are refused permission?;)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its quite a while since the over 70's were told to self isolate - or at least, to do so solely because of their age. It is now only the "extremely vulnerable" who are told to do so. So, yes, fine for them to play golf - under the same restrictions that under 70s do.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

No, you are not interpreting the last line correctly. Shielding is for those who have been informed by letter that they are in the clinically highly vulnerable category.

sunshine

Visit site
I think the line, "if they do go out more frequently..." suggests they can go out. And its full of "should," not "must."

But, as you think 70 yr olds should be refused access, why not have a 70's day when those under 70 are refused permission?;)

Haha. Except unfortunately you'd just have a scenario where all the over 70's would wander round infecting each other! Although to be fair, every week day is 70's day.

I misunderstood the guidance any way, so you oldies have my permission to play golf now ;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Haha. Except unfortunately you'd just have a scenario where all the over 70's would wander round infecting each other! Although to be fair, every week day is 70's day.

I misunderstood the guidance any way, so you oldies have my permission to play golf now ;)

Gee thanks... there's a good few years before 70 for me, assuming I don't let drugs, sex and rock and roll kill me off.;)