Are My Shafts Losing Me Distance?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few months ago, and coutesy of GM, I switched to a set of Burner irons with graphite shafts but am now noticing a dramatic loss in distance (this may have always been there but was playing so badly at the end of lasy year it is hard to tell but now that I am showing improvements it has become obvious). I used to consistently hit a seven iron 150 yards but now I am reaching for a six iron for the same distance and sometimes come up short. Initially I had put this down to the winter conditions but now I am not so sure. This is coupled with the fact that Burner plus irons are designed to add distance and the shafts are meant to help with that. Would be interested to read any comments as to whether it may be an idea to go out and test some alternatives.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I suspect if your yardage has dropped a club or more, your clubhead speed has dropped. Go and see Angus for a lesson and get your swingspeed measured.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have been taking lessons with James so the comparison was against distance that I was achieving with my old irons at the end of my series of lessons.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have noticed a similar loss of distance over the winter. I put it down to; winter conditions, the extra clothing, loss of condition.

I haven't been greatly concerned as I know where I was playing my second from in Summer and all of the above are, almost, self correcting.

What it has pointed up is the big gap that I have due to my inconsistency with hybrid and fairway wood.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its strange as I've substantially gained distance swapping to TM Tour Burners in a regular graphite (from R7's in steel). I'm wondering if the combination of the shaft and the large cavity on the standard burners are actually sending the ball too high on a rainbow type arc as opposed to a more penertrating flight with your previous sticks.

I think there will be some distance loss in winter due to the colder air conditions and the wetter fairways.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
May have a point there Homer, I am certainly putting alot of height on the ball at the moment. Would help explain why I have not experienced a similar loss of dsitance with the other clubs in my bag.

May go and hit a few irons over the weekend and compare and see what the outcome is.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I went for a fitting session at Mizuno yesterday afternoon, and took my current clubs (John Letters Trilogy TXD) for comparison. I have been playing with graphite shafts for some time now, mainly because they are lighter and carrying was becoming a bit of a sruggle. I always assumed the graphite would also give me more distance.
The guy at Mizuno ran some tests on the launch monitor, and then got me to try out various steel shafts.....
In ALL instances the steel shafted Mizuno was hitting the ball further, even on those strikes I made with a lower swing speed than the best ones I had hit with the John Letters (is this making sense?).
Also, spin was reduced with the steel shafted clubs, quite significantly in some instances.
I got 10 yards further carry with the steel shafts I have finally decided to go for than I was getting with my graphite shafts, and the spin rate has come down dramatically, which should lead to better shot dispertion.
Rob

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi GB72,
can i ask if you are comparing distances reached on the course to on the range?

I have found that a typical 6 iron shot on the range seems to be about 135 and rolls on, but out on the course (proper balls etc), i am getting more like 140 to 145.

Are you able to try your old clubs again for a comparison?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
No I am comparing distances on the course. I have simply noticed that I am taking a club or more extra to reach the greens with the Burner irons than I was with my Orkas.

Cannot go back to the Orkas as were sold on during the honeymoon period with the new irons and the loss in distance has only really come to light recently as I have started playing more consistently.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have found that a typical 6 iron shot on the range seems to be about 135 and rolls on, but out on the course (proper balls etc), i am getting more like 140 to 145.

I have found this too when I have hit balls on the range. I get nothing like the distance I do off of grass and always put it down to the crap balls they dish up, plus hitting off the mats. It still makes me sick though when I see young guys with perfect swings hitting the back fencing on the fly 250 yards out with their drivers
Gits

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
GB.....what shafts do you have? i.m.o. this is an odd discovery. Normally, I'd expect a marginal increase in distance. Is there any info on the shaft about the kick point? Do you know your driver c/h speed?

- - - - -

Crikey, been gone 72 hours, just the 480 posts to read!!!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not got the fastest club head speed but a regular shaft in a driver suits me fine. My last irons had regular steel Nippon shafts, Burner irons have the standard Taylormade graphite shafts.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Make...?....kick point...?...must be written on them somewhere. Also, the swing weight of these is D5 which t.b.h. if I played with, would be a disaster....

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
They are Taylormade Re-ax superfast 60g Shafts cannot find details on kick points.

Little technical for me, can you explain what difference swing weight makes.