Are group beginner lessons valuable?

AdamW

Visit site
Wondering if anyone has been to them or had anyone they know go to them can provide any insight? My local is offering 6 group beginner lessons for £45 my chipping and putting is pretty good but my irons and drivers / long game not so much.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A good idea to learn the very basics but I'd go one to one after that as, realistically, group lessons give very limited time oer pupil per lesson

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Wondering if anyone has been to them or had anyone they know go to them can provide any insight? My local is offering 6 group beginner lessons for £45 my chipping and putting is pretty good but my irons and drivers / long game not so much.

I’d definitely go for it. Probably best value way to improve & get some good direction for what to work on.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Depends on the length of the lessons and the number in the group.
If it's 30 mins and there are 6 in the group then I'd say no.
Even if it's an hour, thats still equivalent to £45 per hour (6x10mins)
You're not going to learn much in 10 mins.

I would look at 2x30min one to one lessons which would probably work out about the same

dronfield

Visit site
I did this many years ago and it was very good for learning the basics.

As has been said, you will get limited 1 to 1 tuition, but at that cost is def worth a go.

More and more club pros are offering bulk lesson deals eg, 6 for £100 etc, so you could explore that route for specific 1to1 coaching?

Rich

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Group lessons can IMO be especially beneficial for those who might be nervous about starting lessons.

Although of course there's no reason to be nervous some people are more confident than others a group setting it's likely to be / should be more fun and relaxing.

If I were to start over I'd dip my toe in the water by beginning with a set of group lessons for the pure basics, then if I liked the coach and thought it worthwhile I'd move on to 1-2-1 (30 or 45 minute) lessons every 3 or 4 weeks

HTH 👍

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Probably are if you are a beginner, better with 121 tuition obviously but if money is an issue I don't see why these couldn't be a good alternative

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I started off with 4 group lessons, which for £40 was a steal, but don't think I benefited from it to any meaningful level. The coach picked up on my faults, but no time to get into how to fix it, leaving me to kind of self fix. Only other positive was that it helped me realise that yes I wanted to commit to golf, and that 1-2-1 lessons would be worth it.

First 1-2-1 picked up the same faults, but got me fixing them. 6 lessons later I would say i'm starting to reap the rewards. If I could work with what was wrong more pro-actively, and fix it myself then I would've stuck with the group lessons, but for me the time save of getting the right fixes faster is worth the extra money.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a horrific experience where I was taught a 10 finger grip because it was easier for the coach to teach everyone the same thing.

How was that “horrific”. Doesn’t matter where your pinky finger goes. Just a variation of how to hold a club...