Are Galvin Green really the be all and end all of waterproofs?

Agent Pies

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I had the scottsdale email and it did say 30% off all clothing.

When you go through the order process, it accepts the sales code with this to side

"Discount code SALE30 was applied to this order for a discount of 30% on eligible products".

Unfortunately it doesn't inform you if the order has actually taken the sales code and discount off until its takes your money as you don't get any breakdown, just a total throughout with the above line!

I've sent them an email cancelling my order as I didn't think it was very transparent, it should have refused the sales code, not accepted it and then not take it when its too late as the item is not eligible!

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I would get the pro quip and go to Portugal. I'd rather have the memories of a nice trip to Portugal than of the time in the torrential rain that I stayed slightly drier than I otherwise would have.
If money no object then crack on with the GG.

Agent Pies

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally I would get the pro quip and go to Portugal. I'd rather have the memories of a nice trip to Portugal than of the time in the torrential rain that I stayed slightly drier than I otherwise would have.
If money no object then crack on with the GG.

The rub there is unfortunately I have no one to go to Portugal to play golf with!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does anyone know roughly when GG start selling off last years stock ready for the new incoming year?

They dont allow a mass clear out and you will find most sale prices are the same!

Have a look at some of clearance stockists to get an idea of reductions. (Golf support discountgolfstore)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Received a telephone call the same morning, the guy agreed with some of the points and observations I raised in part only and said he would speak to his manager and come back to me, I heard nothing else but have a refund in my account this morning.

Laka

Head Pro
Visit site
prices in sweden for galvin green rainclothes
akron anorak 144 pound, aron jacket 218 pound, trousers paclite august 181pound

so if i want want GG, which country should by them in. by the way, recived an offer from a swedish retailer for 20 % discount on all there golf clothing, so an aron jacket should be around 176 pound,,,is that a good price?

Last edited:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
prices in sweden for galvin green rainclothes
akron anorak 144 pound, aron jacket 218 pound, trousers paclite august 181pound

so if i want want GG, which country should by them in. by the way, recived an offer from a swedish retailer for 20 % discount on all there golf clothing, so an aron jacket should be around 176 pound,,,is that a good price?

Yes a quick shop around has the Aron @ £240 uk price.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Hmm, just checked my balance and I have a partial refund, it would seem they have applied a discount for me and are sending my item, I've had no direct contact to confirm this but its the only conclusion due to receiving a partial refund, if that's the case, fair play to them :thup:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have used GG stuff and it is <Ronseal>. The garments do need to 'reactivated' occasionally, through rewashed with NikWax or similar products. NO softener though in the wash!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Some interesting comments on here which raise a couple of questions.......

All those people that say other brands are as good/better, have you actually owned GG stuff to compare against?

And those people that have GG and also another brand that they say are as good....if the other brand IS as good, why did you buy GG stuff as well?

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

All those people that say other brands are as good/better, have you actually owned GG stuff to compare against?

And those people that have GG and also another brand that they say are as good....if the other brand IS as good, why did you buy GG stuff as well?

Bought my GG Gore Tex stuff years ago due to the fact it was Gore Tex and fitted well.

Prior to that I had (still have) a Sunderland Gore Tex jacket and the GG was miles ahead in terms of fit.

A couple of years ago I did buy a Callaway jacket and trousers in the Sports Direct sale, reduced from around £290 for both to around £90. Claimed the same 20,000/20,000 rating as Gore Tex but just did not perform as well as Gore Tex.

Since then adidas added a Gore Tex range to their collection and the fit and performance are as good as my GG but at nearly half the price.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
D4S - I think people mix with other makes as GG is so expensive. I know that is why I have Proquip trousers instead of GG ones. I could justify saving and buying one of their jackets but I was not willing to do the same for the trousers. If my jacket was stolen or was damaged then realistically I could not afford to replace it at the moment so I would buy a Proquip one in the knowledge that it would be work for a period, hopefully a long one, but that it was not likely to have the longevity of a GG.

alexbrownmp

Head Pro
Visit site
I got caught in terrible rain yesterday. Made me really miserable playing in it. I got my 14 month old £120 Callaway waterproofs out, and the zip broke on the trousers. Also considering I only had a t shirt on underneath I was soaking wet with sweat after about 4 holes.

So, having a look last night and today Galvin Green seems to be touted as the best. I don't mind paying for good quality that will last, however, the trouser and jacket combos I'm seeing are close to £450 in some cases :eek:

Are they really that good to justify such a price tag?

That sort of money is a 4 day golf break in Portugal which I'm currently dreaming of!
in a word No!

I have the top of the range jacket and trousers, trousers fit better than others, jaclket looks good but I've had Sunderland jackets that instantly made you feel warm when you put it on on a cold windy day, the GG doesnt do that plus the mandarin style collar is like a funnel in a downpour to channel as much water as possible down your back and front. I look good though.

It's Goretex and GG dont have the monopoly on Goretex, Sunderland Proquip suits are just as good but dont have the lifetime gaurantee, thats all.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Never had a GG suit, but all I can say is I got a ProQuip one for about a third of the price, and it has never leaked in five years. I judge waterproof suits on how waterproof they are, how comfortable, no rustling, and value for money. Style wise they all look the same to me.