Are Galvin Green really the be all and end all of waterproofs?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any Gore Tex garment should perform very similarly between brands in terms of moisture management. Just bear in mind there are 3 different types of Gore Tex fabric technology and some brands don't use the best where others do. Look for the Performance or Pro shell types rather than the basic (but still efective) Active types.

For me, the thing Galvin Green does best is fit and style. The quality of stitching, seams, cuffs and zips are noticeably better than others and they make a big difference to overall quality and comfort.

Mugs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's true I don't think the Sunderland gear is goretex but still quality gear for the prices

However like I said any goretex stuff should all be pretty much of a similar standard and much cheaper than GG although the cut style may not be as good

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought mine after raising a few quid on eBay. Most retailers accept PayPal. Other than that some genuine GG bargains to be had on eBay... Just have to check feedback....

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the jacket and trousers. Wouldn't wear anything else now. I've had pro quip that after a couple of seasons were useless. GG have a lifetime guarantee, so an initial large outlay but that should be it. I wear the jacket away from the course a lot in poor weather. As soon as the weather changes for the worse in winter the trousers are on for the rest of the season.

You do have to look after them though. They need washing and tumble drying to remain waterproof. I hadn't washed mine for ages and played in last weeks bad weather and had wet shoulders for the first time ever. A quick wash and dry and this weekend in the rain again was bone dry.

Merv_swerve

Challenge Tour Pro
goo.gl
I bought the GG August trousers, £190 and the gore-tex is as advertised. Perfect results so far. The cut and fit were miles ahead of my previous troos which very adidas from years ago.

Since then I am convinced gore-tex is the real deal, no hype, and have subsequently bought a half zip adidas gore-tex top to replace my Ping jacket. Went for Adidas due to the price tag. golf-online.co.uk gor £55ish. Couldn't really stretch to £250 for the GG jacket I wanted.

Get gore-tex. It works.

Merv_swerve

Challenge Tour Pro
goo.gl
You do have to look after them though. They need washing and tumble drying to remain waterproof. I hadn't washed mine for ages and played in last weeks bad weather and had wet shoulders for the first time ever. A quick wash and dry and this weekend in the rain again was bone dry.

Agreed.
The GG gear comes with very clear care instructions on the garment. follow them and your LIFETIME guarantee is there.

Agent Pies

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Just out of curiosity, why does washing and tumble drying them make them waterproof again? Some sort of Gore-Tex witchcraft?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Berghaus are probably the best on the market, I'm a Greenkeeper by trade and haven't found anything to match them yet !...

If it helps I'll find out the exact type we're using at the moment and post it here tomorrow !...:thup:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Berghaus are probably the best on the market, I'm a Greenkeeper by trade and haven't found anything to match them yet !...

If it helps I'll find out the exact type we're using at the moment and post it here tomorrow !...:thup:

I have the Berghaus Paclite gortex jacket and trousers. Found them really cheap online and they've not let me down even when it's been like a monsoon on the course.

winty57

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Try Zero Restriction gore tex rain gear its more common in the states but have the paclite trousers which are totally waterproof and breathable, similar retail price to GG but can find deals on ebay or Gamola

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I posed a similar question on the Forum last year. On the strength of the answers, I have the GG Alf jacket and trousers (and the hat) and I have remained dry no matter how much rain and wind. I just hope that they last a long time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
GG jacket and Proquip trousers for me. Have been in some horror storms and neither have let me down. Both have been owned for about 7-8 years now. I can't justify over £100 for trousers so I would go Proquip again for trousers. What pro's use is a slightly iffy argument for me as they will get new sets every year, maybe two per year. Not really testing longevity there. It us amatuers that test that out.

GG jackets are very smart and I will wear mine in mild weather if it is likely to rain for normal, non golf use. You can't necessarily do that with other jackets. Mine is perhaps a little tight on my swing so for one try for fit and two I wear a lovely comfy windproof top for cold and windy, GG for rain. They may, of course, have improved the material and movement within a GG jacket since I bought mine. High quality gear.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH ive had a Proquip, sunderland and Sunice suite all let in if it rained hard enough, non were goretex though.

Ive had GG stuff since and non of that ever has. my last jacket was paclite, which was fine in the summer (hadn't worn it the last two summers) but that provided no warmth during the winter. so this year got a new jacket with the lining and unfortunately that has had to be worn on a reg basis for the last 3 months.

its not cheap GG stuff, but it prob is the best.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Scottsdale golf got on offer with 30% on all clothing use discount code "sale30" and this includes Galvin green. offer ends tomoz.

oh I don't have out to do with them but have just ordered some pants for the other half :)