are chippers legal

D

Deleted Member 1156

The biggest problem with carrying a chipper in the bag (apart from the stigma) is that most people already have one. It's called a 7 iron.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
My old man always used his chipper and within 120 yards, it was his go to. Ive never seen someone so accurate with one and he just always dropped it into a great putting position.

Friends slated him for it, so he took it out of the bag. His scores suffered. So I encouraged the return of the chipper.

Hes not lost a match again since. Scores dropping too.

Its the man holding the club who makes the shot, not the club itself (unless its the swingless golf club of course). Whether you bump and run with an 8 iron or use a chipper, theres still the skill of correct weighting, ball connection and line needed to make a good shot.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the legality side .
I remember a guy who machined the face of an old ping answer to add loft very much like a chipper.
He added weight to the cavity to match the original weight of the club.
It was really good to chip with.
Basically a chipper is just a putter with loft added.
Would a Scotty Cameron chipper get as much abuse I think not.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My first putter was a cut-down hickory shafted beauty that had a little bit of loft. Indeed it might even originally have been a cleek. But that little bit of loft was great for little chips on from very close to the green with nothing much to clear. That said I also had a cut-down hickory shafted niblick that I used for most of my chipping - it was my 'chipper'. And though the shaft was a bit bowed it was a magic little golf club.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On the legality side .
I remember a guy who machined the face of an old ping answer to add loft very much like a chipper.
He added weight to the cavity to match the original weight of the club.
It was really good to chip with.
Basically a chipper is just a putter with loft added.
Would a Scotty Cameron chipper get as much abuse I think not.

Screenshot_20210112-215109_eBay.jpg