are chippers legal

Younglast516

Visit site
Oh I’m sorry, I thought this was a male forum, please excuse me ladies I won’t take up any more of your time. I should have known when I saw the comment about sitting to pee.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What an aggressive and pompous fool. Ten years too late to the party or an IQ of 10 :unsure: Why would you come on here and immediately slag of a long standing a respected member of the community

The guy has a right to his view. How ĺong he has been posting is totally irrelevant.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
What an aggressive and pompous fool. Ten years too late to the party or an IQ of 10 :unsure: Why would you come on here and immediately slag of a long standing a respected member of the community

This is a case where the offending post should have been reported to the Mods for action.
Answering an aggressive and pompous post with another aggressive and pompous post rarely works

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Were they made when the average of your clubs were?

Not far off, their peak popularity was probably the 80s & 90s, Bronty were the chipper kings.

I have at least one, a Swilken from the 1960s, but it's not the usual chipper style, more a short shafted 4 iron.

1610315624393.png1610315668893.png

This one is probably from the 1930s but isn't named as a chipper, it says "Punch" on the sole.
It's purpose was a lofted club (it's about 30 degrees) for "putts" from off the green.

(I bet you wish you'd not mentioned it now! ;) )

1610315935772.png1610316001765.png

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not far off, their peak popularity was probably the 80s & 90s, Bronty were the chipper kings.

I have at least one, a Swilken from the 1960s, but it's not the usual chipper style, more a short shafted 4 iron.

View attachment 34415View attachment 34416

This one is probably from the 1930s but isn't named as a chipper, it says "Punch" on the sole.
It's purpose was a lofted club (it's about 30 degrees) for "putts" from off the green.

(I bet you wish you'd not mentioned it now! ;) )

View attachment 34418View attachment 34420

Nice photos

I used to have a mate, who was an occasional golfer who played, with those at the bottom. One of the things that made me laugh with him was he thought he used to hit a SW about 140 yards until I pointed out to him that the club was so old that the 8 had rubbed out to look like an S.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chippers are certainly legal. Some golfers frown on them because they think they make chipping too easy. The same golfers will go out and spend £££ on a new driver, a range finder or to be fitted for equipment because it makes the game easier. They say you should learn to chip with the other clubs in your bag, particularly wedges. That’s what proper golfers do. They don’t say you should hit lob shots with 4 irons because Seve could do it. The same people will also tell you that the quickest way to get your handicap down is improving your chipping and putting, but seem to think you should make this as hard as possible.

I struggled with chipping badly. Bought an Odyssey chipper as a last resort. It wasn’t the cure all I was hoping for because the simple truth is that they are not suitable for every chip. But when you find yourself with some green to work with, they do the business. Even then you have to hit them correctly. I found that this meant making sure you keep your hands ahead of the clubhead through the shot.

Oddly, my chipping with other clubs improved quite dramatically but the chipper has stayed in the bag.

In the end it’s about what your game needs to succeed and in the case of a chipper, do you have room for one in your bag. A chipper is not as one dimensional as some think but you will be using one of your 14 clubs for a club which may not be used too often.

The game is about getting the ball in the hole and doing so with legal equipment, so don’t listen to those that knock chippers. They are a tool to do a job. If they make the job easier, then why worry?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because other people laugh at you?????
:cry::cry::cry:
As I say, why worry?
In the real world people laugh at those who use a spanner to hit a nail into a piece of wood.
I saw them laughing when Todd Hamilton won the Open too. ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
a guy off 15 won one of our Silver trophys with one in the bag last year, the only person to win one who wasn't a Scratch/ +fig golfer