are chippers legal

mickyfadeon

Visit site
I have a fineline chipper . It has only 1 face. It also has circular grip not a putter grip. I understand I can use this in my club comps . Am I correct. Can anyone help

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes they are legal but highly frowned upon by aspiring snobs/knobs.

I tend to agree. I have never experienced this "frowned upon" thing. Ok, I dont have a chipper, but some at my club do and use it well. It's a club, one which helps some people to get it closer to the pin, which is the aim of the game.

Some people might not like them, but to say others dont is simply putting your own thoughts onto others, which is most likely incorrect and you just shouldnt do.

Ignore others, if you want to use one, use it I say. I fancy having a go with one, they look quite good.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Use to know one old guy had I think 3 of them. Anything from 80yrds out and out they came. Trouble was he was bloody red hot with them.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes they're legal, but shouldn't be imho. Like someone said earlier learn to chip & pitch it's much more rewarding than copping out. If you can't drive you can't buy some club that gets around the act of driving so why should chipping be any different?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
...and yet if you can't hit a 3 iron your quite happy to use a hybrid?

....if you can't open up a 56 wedge to perform a lob then your happy to use a 60 degree one?

Come on, the rules are quite simple and they are clearly not illegal so all this "frowned upon" etc is just dreadful double standards.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes they're legal, but shouldn't be imho. Like someone said earlier learn to chip & pitch it's much more rewarding than copping out. If you can't drive you can't buy some club that gets around the act of driving so why should chipping be any different?

quite right and learn to putt without one hand under your chin or the grip of your putter firmly held between your bellies