Apple watch

Lee73

Visit site
Hi all,

im new to the forum and also to golf, I’ve dived straight in and joined a club!!, i was just reading the banned post and apple watches was mentioned, I already have an Apple Watch so seems pointless wasting money on a dedicated watch which brings me to my question...what Apple Watch app would
you recommend me getting to help with yardage etc?

many thanks

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unless the apps have changed dramatically, they still feed off the GPS of the iPhone, so if you leave your phone in your bag somewhere and walk off, the distance isn’t going to be accurate.
I don’t believe there are any that use the GPS signal in the watch itself yet, as Apple hadn’t released the API to use it.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unless the apps have changed dramatically, they still feed off the GPS of the iPhone, so if you leave your phone in your bag somewhere and walk off, the distance isn’t going to be accurate.
I don’t believe there are any that use the GPS signal in the watch itself yet, as Apple hadn’t released the API to use it.
Things have changed, the Series 2 & 3 will use the built-in GPS IF the watch cannot be contacted. I use the Fun Golf GPS app, and as soon as the watch has loaded the course I put the phone into Airplane mode and stow the phone in my bag. It works just fine, distances update as you walk around as expected.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Things have changed, the Series 2 & 3 will use the built-in GPS IF the watch cannot be contacted. I use the Fun Golf GPS app, and as soon as the watch has loaded the course I put the phone into Airplane mode and stow the phone in my bag. It works just fine, distances update as you walk around as expected.

Interesting....I gave up with phone apps when they wouldn't use the watch GPS location. I must've tried 3/4 different apps.

Got a SkyCaddie instead!