Apple Watch for Golf GPS

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys and girls does anyone use an Apple Watch for a golf GPS?
If so what are your thoughts, battery life?, which App do you use etc

Brizo1411

Visit site
Yeah I do

Apple 1 series I have, I have to charge it overnight every night anyway and it lasts 18 no bother

I use Golfshot app which is great

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just got the 4 and use it to display my Arcoss 360 distances.

Previously I’ve been out of by GPS watches as I find them a bit bulky for my dainty wrists...

The Iwatch is very slim though.

Works well.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys and girls does anyone use an Apple Watch for a golf GPS?
If so what are your thoughts, battery life?, which App do you use etc

What iPhone do you have... I had an iPhone 6s and it killed my phone battery when tethered

iPhone XR and Series 3 watch works fantastic I use Hole 19

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The early (pre series 2) didn't have GPS hardware, so reply on the phone GPS. So if you keep the phone in your bag moving around doesn't update your position. I bought a series 2 specifically to get around this issue but initially was seeing the same behaviour, it turns out that if watch has a connection to the phone it will use the phone's GPS instead. The only way to get the watch to use it's own GPS is to sever the connect to the phone, so I now put the phone into airplane mode. I use the Fun Golf GPS app on my watch, and after 18 holes the battery is usually down to 40% or so.

AdamC28

Visit site
Interested in this thread as I am currently waiting on the delivery of an Apple Watch.

The Fun Golf GPS (https://www.fungolf.com) app shows each hole and accurately displays the bunker positions and shapes. Using the watch crown you can scroll the target location and get distances.

Looks really good. Just a shame it’s not a one off purchase and you have to pay a subscription.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does anyone know how to get the app on an iwatch to stay showing on the distances at all tmes?

I found with golfshot, the app kept minimizing and screen go dark. Every time I wanted a distance, i had to scroll to the app and open it.
I went back to wearing my golf watch as it is always on and always shows distance