Apple watch as a golfing gadget?

TimmyO

Visit site
As a noob to golf, I assumed (it seems wrongly) that the Apple Watch I seldom wear might find a new purpose as a sort of GPS range doohickey or swing feedback wotsit or something, but my googling seems to suggest that dedicated hardware is what is actually used.for this sort of thing - is that the case or have I just not stumbled across the right apps/articles yet?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a noob to golf, I assumed (it seems wrongly) that the Apple Watch I seldom wear might find a new purpose as a sort of GPS range doohickey or swing feedback wotsit or something, but my googling seems to suggest that dedicated hardware is what is actually used.for this sort of thing - is that the case or have I just not stumbled across the right apps/articles yet?
Havnt got a clue about Apple Watch, far above my limit.

But if you do get some new tech you must adhere to the rules.
There are things that are not allowed .
Laser rangefinders that show compensation for the slope on the course is the main one.
It’s a minefield.
Most use just a laser or a GPS golf watch there cheap enough now.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
As far as I know the watch gps native apps are all paid for. Hole19 is excellent running from your phone to your watch and doesn’t burn your phone battery.

AdamW

Visit site
I read somewhere the watch connects to the phone in the bag for GPS to give you distances, so if your bag is on that cart or long way behind it is not accurate. Not sure if this is 100% correct so worth double checking and researching

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I switched from a dedicated Garmin to using my watch with Hole19. Few yards difference here and there, nothing to worry about, and occasionally the distances don't seem to update - I assume I just can't be located (eg, played away the other week, standing on 18 at the 100 yard marker distance to middle was still reading 180), and rarely (although it does happen) there are some syncing issues - ie app started but disappears on watch but remains active on phone.

Most of the time it's great, along with the app on the phone I can work out hazards distances for free. There are subscription services for Hole19 and others but provide additional information to the watch but the free version does me just fine.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I read somewhere the watch connects to the phone in the bag for GPS to give you distances, so if your bag is on that cart or long way behind it is not accurate. Not sure if this is 100% correct so worth double checking and researching
It does for most apps but not an issue when with a trolley. I think golfshot offers a premium app which is watch native.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I switched from a dedicated Garmin to using my watch with Hole19. Few yards difference here and there, nothing to worry about, and occasionally the distances don't seem to update - I assume I just can't be located (eg, played away the other week, standing on 18 at the 100 yard marker distance to middle was still reading 180), and rarely (although it does happen) there are some syncing issues - ie app started but disappears on watch but remains active on phone.

Most of the time it's great, along with the app on the phone I can work out hazards distances for free. There are subscription services for Hole19 and others but provide additional information to the watch but the free version does me just fine.
On your phone watch app got to settings> general > wake screen and set “on wake screen show last app” to always.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apple Watch Series 4 has GPS built in so it's not based on your iPhone's location.

I don't use mine for golf yardages as I prefer a laser.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Apple Watch Series 4 has GPS built in so it's not based on your iPhone's location.

I don't use mine for golf yardages as I prefer a laser.
Not quite true. It depends on the app and only a couple of premium apps offer a native phone app when I last checked a while ago and I found them a bit pricey. If you carry or use a trolley hole 19 is great as it doesn’t drain the phone.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not quite true. It depends on the app and only a couple of premium apps offer a native phone app when I last checked a while ago and I found them a bit pricey. If you carry or use a trolley hole 19 is great as it doesn’t drain the phone.

Well, yes, if you don't use the right apps of course it won't work. I was just pointing out it's a hardware feature that never used to be present in the Apple Watch and that it's better now than it used to be if used. Just typed in haste.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Well, yes, if you don't use the right apps of course it won't work. I was just pointing out it's a hardware feature that never used to be present in the Apple Watch and that it's better now than it used to be if used. Just typed in haste.
Absolutely agree mate. GPS has been on the Apple Watch since series 2 which I have. I was just pointing out that very few golf gps apps offer a native service and the ones that do are at a high premium in my opinion. People may have assumed that all apps were native off your post so just wanted to give my experience given that you’d not tried to use that feature yet. ;)

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Be aware that the battery in the watch is relatively tiny and using the native GPS will drain it very quickly, I struggle to get 18 holes out of it. As a compromise I force it tp use the phone GPS and keep the phone in my pocket.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry to jump in, quick question for those of you who use Hole19. I started using it a couple of rounds ago. 1st round it worked fine, the screen woke up when I turned my wrist etc, yardages were correct. 2nd time, the screen didn’t wake up so I had to keep clicking the small button, touching the screen and then it showed the correct yardage.

Read the post above about changing the settings to always show last app, so I did that before my round yesterday. Sure enough it was there on the screen when I raised my wrist, but it seemed to freeze, the yardage was just the full hole yardage no matter where I was. Had to just use the phone instead which was showing the correct yardages.

Anyone had this before? Just a blip?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sorry to jump in, quick question for those of you who use Hole19. I started using it a couple of rounds ago. 1st round it worked fine, the screen woke up when I turned my wrist etc, yardages were correct. 2nd time, the screen didn’t wake up so I had to keep clicking the small button, touching the screen and then it showed the correct yardage.

Read the post above about changing the settings to always show last app, so I did that before my round yesterday. Sure enough it was there on the screen when I raised my wrist, but it seemed to freeze, the yardage was just the full hole yardage no matter where I was. Had to just use the phone instead which was showing the correct yardages.

I haven't however I would try removing the app from your watch and reinstalling to see if that helps.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

If reinstalling the app doesn’t help I’d message them to see if they have any suggestions. I don’t use it anymore as I use game golf, which I would buy for the watch GPS function as it rubbish, but I seem to recall they’re pretty helpful but take a couple of days to respond.