Apple vs Andriod

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes, yes folks it's that time again where the mobile phone is nearly due for renewal.

For the last 2 years I've had an iphone 5 and found it excellent.

I'm currently looking at all makes and models as, well, I have no brand loyalty. I'm simply looking for the best hardware to see me through the next 2, or so, years.

The main battle ground at the minute is the operating system.

What are people thoughts on Android OS? Especially when compared to Apples IOS?

Pros, cons, horror stories?

Any opinions appreciated :thup:

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Personally I never like paying over the odds for a perfectly decent system, so Android for me.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought a copy of a note 3 for £120 or thereabouts. Personally it does everything as well as my old S3 and was easy to root (if you are that way inclined). It may be another option if you hadn't considered it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Can only comment from the devices we use for testing wifi and find functionality of the android devices really awful

Apple every day for me

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
When my Iphone 4S contract expired, I tried a Galaxy S3, within the 7 day cooling off period I was back on an Iphone.

Its a very personal thing, you either are one way inclined or the other

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apple all the way for me to, Got an Samsung S4 mini as my work phone and it is awful, I hate it. That said, if you could put Apple IOS into a Samsung phone and have the IOS operating system with the Samsung hardware, then then would be spot on.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Apple IOS all the way for me, Android isn't logical for users imo.

Iphone 6 due September and I'll be changing 4 iPhone 5's to the 6:thup:

mchacker

Head Pro
Visit site
Crapple are almost the Taylormade of mobiles, their marketing team is their best asset and users defend them to the hilt. Personally I prefer the freedom of android, everything on IOS seems to be hidden with silly swipe and press combos that you have to trawl the net to discover, I spent 30mins yesterday trying to clear the bosses inbox in a quicker fashion than selecting each individual message only to discover after much googling that it simply can't be done because his is a 4 with IOS 7, but any 5 can do it?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I have apple, really wish I didn't

The hardware is fine its the software, error laden updates and stupid restrictions that make it so frustratingly user unfriendly !

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Crapple are almost the Taylormade of mobiles, their marketing team is their best asset and users defend them to the hilt. Personally I prefer the freedom of android, everything on IOS seems to be hidden with silly swipe and press combos that you have to trawl the net to discover, I spent 30mins yesterday trying to clear the bosses inbox in a quicker fashion than selecting each individual message only to discover after much googling that it simply can't be done because his is a 4 with IOS 7, but any 5 can do it?

Makes a useful point, although inadvertently. No matter how good the OS is, it depends on the common sense of the user and that is sometimes lacking. On behalf of Apple, I would encourage you to go Android. You are clearly much better suited to it.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
When my Iphone 4S contract expired, I tried a Galaxy S3, within the 7 day cooling off period I was back on an Iphone.

Its a very personal thing, you either are one way inclined or the other

The guy I dealt with at carphone warehouse did the same thing. He even said the samsung was the better device,but preferred iphone.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was an Apple user and first got an android tablet (hudle through Tesco vouchers) and I now have an android phone. You will get many fixed views one way or another (as can be seen on this thread). Apple IOS does some things better and Android does other things better.

I like the flexibility of Android but I prefer the Apple IOS interface for cutting and pasting t. Apple IOS is more secure but follow a couple of guidelines and Android is nearly as safe.

I got a free nexus 5 phone for £19 per month where I was £33 month for the iPhone 5s on the same tariff. If I was hard pushed I might say Apple IOS was slightly better but it does not justify the huge extra cost.
I am perfectly happy with my Android phone and probably won’t consider Apple again unless the spec/prices were comparable.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
It really depends what you want out of it. I was an Apple user for a few years then got a galaxy note in my mitts. It blows the iphone out of the water in my opinion (I support around 30 handsets, I give all of the users an iphone as they are simple user devices, if anyone wants an android device, they can have one mind).
Phone, email, camera, general apps - iphone
Phone, email,camera, general apps, extra shortcut/menu buttons, more access to your phone to copy music, pics and other files with no limited windows application required to do it- Android.

Dont forget build quality, rate of failure, battery life etc. People rave about Aplles use of metals and glass and how cheap Samsungs feel then what a rubber cover on it.. To me actual materials used dont matter as long as they work.

I have a galaxy note 2 currently that is due for replacement (had an ip3gs, ip4, galaxy note 1 previously) Things like interchangeable batteries, big screen, access to files on the phone etc are all important to me so could never go back to the current range of apple iphones.

Last edited:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Android for me, the missus has an Iphone and Ipad which I like but the software feels much more restrictive. I do like the build quality of her Iphone though.
I admire Apple how they made people think they needed an Iphone to be one of the "trendy" types but it obviously never caught on with me :thup:

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I much prefer the flexibility of android as I use my phone for far more than calls/web browsing.

Also, iPhone pricing is stupid. I have a Nexus 4 with unlimited mins/texts and data and it will cost me £480 over 2 years. For the same contract in an iPhone, it would be £720 minimum. I'd rather have the money for golf.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Android for me, the missus has an Iphone and Ipad which I like but the software feels much more restrictive. I do like the build quality of her Iphone though.
I admire Apple how they made people think they needed an Iphone to be one of the "trendy" types but it obviously never caught on with me :thup:

Spot on, clever marketing from Apple is where they are a field apart from the competition.