AOL rip-off

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had occasion to go through my bank statements (I know, I should do it every time but how many of us only look at the opening and closing balances).

I found I have been paying AOL Access monthly off an old debit card - I can't remember using AOL, I've only had broadband from FreeServe, Ntl and Virgin. (Debit card payments are transferred forward onto your new card, credit cards are not. It is also harder to stop a direct debit made on a debit card; only certain way is to get the card frozen or blocked.)
Lloyds fraud department are looking into this - I may get the last 6 months back, but the rest. . .

Check yours today

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
V, I only have a debit card but DD's can be stopped instantly by going into your home branch and presenting ID.

I think you will still be covered by the credit insurance which operates on credit cards.

Absoultely hate DD. Pay as much as I can by paper bill.

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
V, I only have a debit card but DD's can be stopped instantly by going into your home branch and presenting ID.

I think you will still be covered by the credit insurance which operates on credit cards.

Billyg i didnt have you down as Traditionalist ref the old paper bills next you will be saying you dont like jeans!!! LOL :D

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had the odd strange debit now and again (like utility bills that keep going after I've left) and my bank always gets the money back, you should be OK. If you've never been with them, should be even more solid a case, but sadly, these things can take time. Trust in them to fix it up, and don't accept any bull****, if this had been fraudulently or erroneously produced, you're clear the whole way, for the whole amount. Good luck......

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dave, I get the 6 months from Lloyds. Anything else would have to come from AOL and I'm now into the game of trying to find out when it started. Then I suppose I'll have to try to work out how it started without ever using AOL.

May just have to be philosophical, when I'd rather be physical. To quote another old proverb . . .Sh*t happens

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Billyg i didnt have you down as Traditionalist ref the old paper bills next you will be saying you dont like jeans!!! LOL :D

heaven forbid! ;)

I used to get multiple utility bills until I found out that every time you let an 'engineer' in to inspect for safety problems - yep , that'll be one of the blokes that comes round to check you're not tappin' next doors' gas- it generates a new bill.

Doesn't matter if you only paid the last one two weeks ago- the company can't bare the thought of you having a gas credit- after all that's one glass of bubbly less at the directors table right?

I phoned the gas company up and told them never to bother sending another one round and that they would need a writ to do so in future. Even then i'll put masking tape over the reading window- after all it's a safety check isn't it?

Any cards from a wandering 'engineer' sent round to the general area- usually some contracted bod who drops in a call card to come back for a reading (which they never pick up as they don't get paid unless they get in I guess)-runs the risk of a dirty sanchez on their note.

You've got to watch these buggers.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only 6 months from Lloyds? not good. D'you get statements, or is the account dormant?.....if it's the latter, it could be argued that only 6 months is unreasonable.

I sat in an office at HSBC whilst my manager basicaly read the riot act to an electricity company over erroneous payments. He said they were stuck between a rock and a hard place, refund the lot, or face the might of an £11 bn - a year - profit, companies Lawyers. Refunded within 5 minutes + £20 goodwill. Can't think it'll be that easy with AOL (they're massive), but if you take them to small claims, they won't turn up and the judge will rule straight in your favour.