Anyone still using the Mizuno JPX 850 driver?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
if so what are the results like?

thinking of getting one after trying one at a recent Mizuno fitting day, and had reasonable results with it.

There is a new one due out soon, which will be slightly different, so the existing driver will have a fair price drop and removal of the shaft upgrade cost.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I bought one, along with the 3 fairway and Hybrid, upgraded the shaft in the driver and Fairway.

I love em, they'll be in my bag for a good while, 1 because I love em and 2 because I love em

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got to say.... loving it, hitting it miles, generally in the right direction.

Bad ones can be really quite bad though!! "Fore left", is all I can say!! :eek:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fujikura orochi was an awful shaft for me. spun the ball way too high plus launch was also way too high.

I played with a number of options at a Mizuno open day. All were better feeling. Instantly changing the flight and feel.

On ebay at the time it was only the US that had the shafts. I took a punt on a low launch light 70g x stiff. never been back on a monitor with this shaft as the feel, flight and results are enough for me.

Took a little while to settle on the settings but sure that's half the fun. I would recommend you stay away from the 2 and 3 setting together as it kills the forgiveness of the club for me. give them a whirl and see what you think.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
850-driver-strip.jpg

I am in neutral f and d. neutral 2 and 3 is the most unforgiving for me. 2 and 3 gives a real low thuddy sound. My own gut instinct tells me this is actually the lowest spin setting even if they claim it is the f and d. I am actually with taylomade here. With the r15k you put the weights centre for low spin and split them for some forgiveness.

Edit. Poor pic. find the settings here

http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/golf-clubs/jpx850/jpx850-driver/

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
View attachment 16795

I am in neutral f and d. neutral 2 and 3 is the most unforgiving for me. 2 and 3 gives a real low thuddy sound. My own gut instinct tells me this is actually the lowest spin setting even if they claim it is the f and d. I am actually with taylomade here. With the r15k you put the weights centre for low spin and split them for some forgiveness.

Edit. Poor pic. find the settings here

http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/golf-clubs/jpx850/jpx850-driver/

Neutral mid for me: 1 and 3.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
the setting the Mizuno guy suggested was 8.5 upright with the weights in F &D.

Been loaned one to try tonight... will see how it goes on the course... that the real test.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
felt very dead off the face, but that could be me not hitting the middle. Hit a few good shots with it.

i also found you had to tee the ball a little lower than i have been of late.

Jury is still out, will see if they will let me keep it for the weekend so i can get a whole round in with it.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
felt very dead off the face, but that could be me not hitting the middle. Hit a few good shots with it.

Jury is still out, will see if they will let me keep it for the weekend so i can get a whole round in with it.

I found that off the face as well, and didn't like the dull "thunk" noise. Different story once you get the right setting and hit it out the middle. Feels sweet and a satisfying "click". Stick with it and try to get it to a range to tinker with the settings.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I found that off the face as well, and didn't like the dull "thunk" noise. Different story once you get the right setting and hit it out the middle. Feels sweet and a satisfying "click". Stick with it and try to get it to a range to tinker with the settings.

Had it fiddled about with when i had the fitting so this should be the optimal setting. I did catch a few on the range that went a fair distance with a good flight, but didn't get the feedback you would expect from a Mizuno club.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had it fiddled about with when i had the fitting so this should be the optimal setting. I did catch a few on the range that went a fair distance with a good flight, but didn't get the feedback you would expect from a Mizuno club.

That was always my feeling. Didn't like the sound or feel, even with good shots. Have road-test it a few times but struggling to get on with it. Haven't used it competitively, anyway.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our 2nd hole is about 255 yards and I hadn't driven it for a couple of years. Have driven it twice in the past few weeks with the JPX850 and numerous others just short. Plus I'm consistently hitting it further on the other holes where I take driver.

OK, I'm a better player than I was and maybe the ground is a bit firmer than the last couple of years.... but I'm liking this club!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Our 2nd hole is about 255 yards and I hadn't driven it for a couple of years. Have driven it twice in the past few weeks with the JPX850 and numerous others just short. Plus I'm consistently hitting it further on the other holes where I take driver.

OK, I'm a better player than I was and maybe the ground is a bit firmer than the last couple of years.... but I'm liking this club!

had another crack at Lunchtime with the Callaway Xhot 2 pro. hit them side by side and it went better on all hits.. god and bad.

there could be one in the bag for tomorrows medal.

alexbrownmp

Head Pro
Visit site

exactly, dead feeling and no feeling was my, erm...feeling. Like a lump of metal on a stick. Maybe their shafts?

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
I find if I hit mine low on the face it feels dead... But the results are superb, by far my longest driver.

I did manage to get a px 6.5 from the tour van at wentworth... So that may help... It's lighter than the px I was fitted for