Anyone played Luton Hoo before?

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
There is a group of us that meet up for a yearly weekend of golf, last year we did Mannings Heath which was a really really nice course, this year we are going to Luton Hoo, has anyone played this course before and know what its like? Also any info on what the Hotel is like will be great too.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yep

It's a ok course , nothing spectacular , has the worst par 3 in the world

Hotel is nice

Personally think there are better places to go for a night stop over

CallawayKid

Q-School Graduate
www.regimentway.co.uk
Don't bother, lots of hype but wouldn't pay to play it. Not one bunker on the course which makes most par 5's easy to get to in 2.

Phil - You talking about the long par 3?

CK

D

Deleted member 15344

Don't bother, lots of hype but wouldn't pay to play it. Not one bunker on the course which makes most par 5's easy to get to in 2.

Phil - You talking about the long par 3?

CK

Yep the long par 3 - it's ridiculous

D

Deleted member 1418

Got to agree with Liverpoolphil about Luton Hoo.

If you're looking around that way then Woburn and Hanbury Manor are far better options.

Alternatively not far off the M25 is Foxhills.

Had a golf break at Mannings Heath a few years ago and it was fantastic. The South Lodge hotel where we stayed overnight was very plush!

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Bump

I’m playing there in the Challenger Tour pro-am in a couple of weeks. Is the course not that great then?

And what is playing in a pro-am like? I’ve never done one before.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bump

I’m playing there in the Challenger Tour pro-am in a couple of weeks. Is the course not that great then?

And what is playing in a pro-am like? I’ve never done one before.

It’s a reasonable course which has some very good holes. As it matures I imagine it will be very gold, and the greens also have a lot of potential.

If the rough is up it will be really tough.

Agree about the par 3. Although it was just a a smooth 2iron for me. 😉 if they moved the tee forward 50yds it would be a very good par 3

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would agree with others, its an ok course which is somewhat over hyped, the hotel was soulless when I played there and the only hole I can recollect is the aforementioned par 3.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Only played it the once but I thoroughly enjoyed it (I think the lack of bunkers heightened my experience, haha).

It's a bit like an inland links, lots of punishing rough/fescue.

I shot 11 over which I was very happy with and even got a par on THAT notorious par 3 (came up short with my driver!! chipped on and sunk a 12 footer)

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played a couple of weeks back.

Greens ok at best
tee boxes awful
Rubbish overflowing bins on course
Changing rooms were dirty
Toilets disgusting
Noise from motorway not great
Noise from airport horrendous

With some money and tic it would be an ok course, not one I would rush back too, especially in its current condition.
Get the impression its very unloved.

Used to know a few people who were members, they left as the fees got hiked and it seems to have gone downhill since

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have happy memories of the course, we played the 1st H4H golf day there. The course is nothing spectacular apart from the 1st with the clubhouse in the background. Goldfinger was filmed there the golf match with Oddjob cutting the head off the statue.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have happy memories of the course, we played the 1st H4H golf day there. The course is nothing spectacular apart from the 1st with the clubhouse in the background. Goldfinger was filmed there the golf match with Oddjob cutting the head off the statue.

Gold finger was stoke park, as far as i know.

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Goldfinger is 100% Stoke Park! I’ve played there and there are posters up about the film and Sean Connery