Anyone getting to play today??

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Course looks in fantastic condition, sure this is January? :)

Yesterday I wouldnt have doubted it, windy, hail and rain. Today some heavy clouds passed by early doors but got bright very quickly.
Course has come on really well this past 2 years with our club investing heavily in its own new drainage & tining equipment (most clubs apparently rent theirs) and a program of sanding. Where we would have been muddy in places historically, its now just wet underfoot so the improvements are tangible and seem to have been great value for money.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Got this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014D1N0CG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works nicely and going to have fun filming my swing which will help my pro but also looking forward to using it on the course, especially at places like Sunningdale and H4H and capturing some of the holes and maybe some action from me and my playing partners

That looks like a good deal. You'll be able to make a blog to rival Mr Sheils and Finch......if you arrange to get Carly Booth to come along can I be your PP again?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That looks like a good deal. You'll be able to make a blog to rival Mr Sheils and Finch......if you arrange to get Carly Booth to come along can I be your PP again?

I can only dream of getting to play a round (ooo er matron) with Carly. I could pair you with one of the grey haired over 60 lady members at my place if you're still interested. Worse case, the odd video may make my blog a little less dry than just the written word and odd photo.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played Ramside Cathedral today. Lovely day but greens were like concrete. Creative golf day.

How is that course doing? I played it when it first opened and a/ it wasn't ready and b/ it was very, very tough. I'd choose the other course every time and I didn't know anyone that day, a corporate day but with proper golfers not hackers, that thought otherwise. Hopefully it has bedded in better.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played 9 holes with the boy yesterday, lost by 2 holes giving him 2 shots on each with only the odd helping hand ;). He hit his best drive ever, just a hair over 200 yards with a gentle draw in front of the clubhouse. He's still talking about it! The course was frozen but still playable - the greens were certainly running...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Friday the course was closed. I played yesterday, on temporary greens, on rock hard frozen ground, with heavy rain for the last 5 holes. Not the forecast sunshine then, and no wets or brolly. Today, the course is open, on temps, and it is hosing down with rain. I am not playing.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Courses should close themselves today, who in their right mind would want to go out in full waterproofs in nonstop rain for 4hrs if it wasn't a 'must go' comp!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The Zoo is closed but Aylesbury Park is open. It's the weekend so I don't play but could if I was a Masochistic...
Barely above freezing, cold wind and it's raining.....Mmm..Wonder how many are out there...?

Wimp! Though golf in rain is certainly not something I enjoy - in fact have wimped out of on several occasions!

The Shire was presumed to be closed, so we (3) played Panshanger. Seriously chilly, but only a spot or 2 of anything like rain! Greens were a touch hard early on - and bunkers were frozen - so approach shots were 'interesting', but they were actually great (actually, noticeably better than usual) to putt on. Played the '1 point game' - have to win a hole outright to score a point (so non-accumulating Skins!). I ended up winning, even with the lowest s-ford score!

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Our course is open today, it's raining on the ice and what's left of the snow but someone decided that members would want to play their winter league fixtures - maybe they should have considered the implications of a fall in the icy conditions and the risk of being sued!

We postponed until next week and keep fingers crossed for warmer weather

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Shut on Saturday, but night-time rain and a mild night saw the snow chased away and course reopened this morning...

37 points in our winter league with one blob, and a probable bout of trenchfoot due to the sodden conditions and my Callaway shoes leaking like a a fisherman's net.