Anyone else not able to achieve this position?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a root around to see if my early extension fault maybe down to a lack of flexibility on my part as a few things that i had been reading pointed towards tight body muscles and joints being a factor in early extension....

Check out the test..... I cant even get close to getting in the position he does....And i would consider myself pretty athletic..... I didnt think that my Achilles injuries would have an impact on my swing but it seems that they might do.....

Maybe i need to have better foot work to help with some of the flexibility issues.... Id be interested to know if anyone else struggles to get into the position this chap does.....

[video]http://www.mytpi.com/improve-my-game/swing-characteristics/early-extension[/video]

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'm not flexible, back back as well, and I don't early extend. It's good posture that's all.

Achilles injuries COULD play a part (I'm sure I've seen TPI stuff where they attribute EE to stuff like that), mine are as tight as piano wires so I'm open minded about it.. maybe, maybe not.

Last edited:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not flexible, back back as well, and I don't early extend. It's good posture that's all.

Achilles injuries COULD play a part (I'm sure I've seen TPI stuff where they attribute EE to stuff like that), mine are as tight as piano wires so I'm open minded about it.. maybe, maybe not.

I know all the scientific stuff is there to back up what they are saying James..... But i cant see how not being able to do a squat can cause a loss of posture..... In fairness..... I couldnt see the likes of Darren Clarke, Jiminez, Monte, being able to do that also.....

I know my legs inside out after having the 2 injuries and know that overuse (in my case) and tight calves cause Achilles Ruptures....
Ill give the heel raising a few weeks and see what transpires....

I wasnt looking for an excuse but i do have that 2 way miss going on from the EE..... Pushes to the right and Hooks....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I know all the scientific stuff is there to back up what they are saying James..... But i cant see how not being able to do a squat can cause a loss of posture..... In fairness..... I couldnt see the likes of Darren Clarke, Jiminez, Monte, being able to do that also.....

That's pretty much how I look at it, if Kevin Stadler can golf then so can anyone!! :p

I guess if anyone's really injured that much that they simply can't do something then I guess they'd have to accept that, but I can't see early extension being a major one that people can't sort out... millions of people can't all have bust up achilles.

^
^

Sorry.. was a few typo's in that post which I've just fixed :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
since I was a teenager I've had EE, at that time I had no idea what it was but I used to scratch my wrists on my belt buckle during the downswing, now THAT'S EE :smirk:

I'm less flexible now but I still have this movement (but no belt buckle scratches) which creates pull hooks, blocks or J arthurs as my nemesis shots. I'd like to think I can fix it with knowing what to do to correct it, concentrating on it and practice.

Combining this with keeping the downswing shoulder plane on the same plane as the backswing I'd like to think I can get back to really enjoying striking the ball correctly and consistently again.........

...now if only I could putt:rolleyes:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Check out the test..... I cant even get close to getting in the position he does.... Id be interested to know if anyone else struggles to get into the position this chap does.....

simple answer - not even close, no way.

as bum got close to knee height the front of my feet started rising off the floor - then I fell over backwards........which is probably why he tells you to put your hands behind your head to stop it banging the floor too hard. :thup:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site

as bum got close to knee height the front of my feet started rising off the floor - then I fell over backwards........which is probably why he tells you to put your hands behind your head to stop it banging the floor too hard. :thup:

I could only manage to just get past the horizontal position that my thighs got into..... After that i was on me backside.:lol:

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
I could do it comfortably but it didn't half stretch the muscles in my shins. I was tpi screened a few years back scored well but don't remember the exact numbers 67 rings a bell. Anyway it was suggested physically I was easily capable of getting to scratch and beyond yet here I still am. The point is don't read to much into it I don't however have an early extension problem.

3righthands

Visit site
I could only manage to just get past the horizontal position that my thighs got into..... After that i was on me backside.:lol:

So MyTPI made an ar-se out of you then :)

Disagree EE is due to poor posture...posture is supported by the area of the problem...the (lower body). You need to work out with some lunge moves mate and work the glutes.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The best drill I know for EE is to put a ball around four inches in front of the ball at address then swing to hit both balls. On the corse imagine hitting the second ball. Keeps you down and over the ball.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

I don't think it's possible to do it without rolling backwards if you have a beer barrel strapped to your tummy :p

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I checked a couple of swings that I've got on record. One I did a very small EE and the other none at all. I don't think it's something else for me to be concerned about

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was trying this earlier on (unsuccessfully) and the other half asked me what I was doing. After I told her she stood up got in into that position no problem. She hates golf though

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can do it but have to pull forward on the back of my neck when my backside gets near the floor to stop me falling backwards.