Anybody rent out property?

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a house and 4 flats that I've rented out for the past 17 years. I have never had any problems with any tenants. I use a very good local agent to find me tenants. They do all sorts of financial checks and require multiple references from the tenants employers and previous land lords. This tends to weed out the riff raff. Also I have a few very long term tenants who are very reliable and I have not increased the rent for years as I don't want to lose them.

Similar, its tricky because every year you don't increase its an increase you will not get back until you have to look for new tenants but currently I'd much rather have a good tenant for the long term rather than few extra quid

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Glad it's amusing you SR and wish I had somewhere to rent out but as my situation is purely hypothetical then I couldn't threaten violence on anyone,could I??
As an aside though,if you were in a position of being owed £1,000's and being messed around by someone using the the laws we have to deal with these issues-and no sign of resolution in your favour----how long would you put up with it(say you were relying on that money as a for instance?
Just curious.................................I've obviously been brought wrongly,imagine believing that your word is your bond and that you do not let anyone down-silly me!
Jimbo
I would have no other course open to me than to use the law. If you think threats and bullying is the answer then you are no better than those you accuse.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would have no other course open to me than to use the law. If you think threats and bullying is the answer then you are no better than those you accuse.
And how long would you let the situation go on-3/6/9/12/18/24 months?Would you be so accepting of 'due process' even if you were to receive no payments as specified by the court(in your favour)?
As for me 'being no better than those I accuse' you know nothing about me,although I did explain the social mores that my parents had brought me up to believe in and expect from others.
But maybe in your rush to attain the moral high ground you cast that aside-although I would assume that your upbringing was on the same paths (by all means correct me if I'm mistaken in that assumption?
Look, let's lighten up a bit here eh? I'm not exactly jumping for joy at being labelled as a thuggish sort-if you knew me you could be pleasantly surprised at what a pushover I really am(gave a new member 2 new balls today/his trolley was 100 yards away-he lost them over a period of 6 holes-BUT,BUT did I ask him for 6 in return?? NO! Didn't mention it at all-waited till I was home before crying:cry:
Now then,to business,can I buy your golf gear off you?Promise you a fair,market value price-will pay you in??:unsure:
Cheers Jimbo

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And how long would you let the situation go on-3/6/9/12/18/24 months?Would you be so accepting of 'due process' even if you were to receive no payments as specified by the court(in your favour)?
As for me 'being no better than those I accuse' you know nothing about me,although I did explain the social mores that my parents had brought me up to believe in and expect from others.
But maybe in your rush to attain the moral high ground you cast that aside-although I would assume that your upbringing was on the same paths (by all means correct me if I'm mistaken in that assumption?
Look, let's lighten up a bit here eh? I'm not exactly jumping for joy at being labelled as a thuggish sort-if you knew me you could be pleasantly surprised at what a pushover I really am(gave a new member 2 new balls today/his trolley was 100 yards away-he lost them over a period of 6 holes-BUT,BUT did I ask him for 6 in return?? NO! Didn't mention it at all-waited till I was home before crying:cry:
Now then,to business,can I buy your golf gear off you?Promise you a fair,market value price-will pay you in??:unsure:
Cheers Jimbo
Not sure why you would be interested in my golf gear without seeing it, I'm quite attached to it though so wont take up your offer.
Hopefully this won't invoke a visit from your Castlemilk mates, I did some software work there once for a furniture manufacturer and was always concerned my car would still be there at the end of the day ?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We've seen this from the other side of things. We moved in to our current house in Sept 2018 and reported a leaking tap in the kitchen that had led to the worktop rotting. The landlord's tradesman came round and performed a "temporary fix" on the last Saturday before Xmas 2018 with the promise that the worktop would be replaced asap. Despite chasing them repeatedly the work has still not been done and it has now led to the cupboard carcass under the sink rotting as well. Not only that, we received an email in October 2020 saying that the landlord wanted to increase the rent by £50 a month. We rejected that and were then asked what increase we would accept. We replied that we wouldn't accept any increase due to repairs to the property not being carried out and referred them to a housing tribunal to get the rent independently assessed. Mrs Colch is friends with the previous tenant who had also taken the landlord to tribunal in March 2018 and so we got copies of the paperwork from her. It turned out that all of the repairs that we were requesting had been raised at the previous tribunal, and had been noted as needing action, and nothing had been done about them. As a result they were told that they couldn't increase the rent. We are now referring the landlord to Environmental Health as the work top and cupboard are mouldy. Mrs Colch has asthma and there are two kids in the property so the fact that there are mould spores being released isn't healthy.

Desperately looking for somewhere new to live but unfortunately there's nothing suitable on the market at the minute.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not sure why you would be interested in my golf gear without seeing it, I'm quite attached to it though so wont take up your offer.
Hopefully this won't invoke a visit from your Castlemilk mates, I did some software work there once for a furniture manufacturer and was always concerned my car would still be there at the end of the day ?
Would that have been Morris in the valley area,and were they not a sizeable employer at one time-whatever happened to them?
Plus I notice that like a politician you don't actually answer the question put?---'And how long would you let the situation go on-3/6/9/12/18/24 months?' I'll pass on your gear as that's gone past you(or has it?)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Would that have been Morris in the valley area,and were they not a sizeable employer at one time-whatever happened to them?
Plus I notice that like a politician you don't actually answer the question put?---'And how long would you let the situation go on-3/6/9/12/18/24 months?' I'll pass on your gear as that's gone past you(or has it?)
Yes, that was the Company 'Morris' it was owned by a young guy who gave a lot of meaningful jobs to young people in the area.

How can I answer a question with that timeline. I made a point to you that I would only look to the law for my supposed claim, in this case the timeframe would be whatever it needed to be as a violet outcome would not be acceptable.

Your comments regarding my golf gear make no sense to me.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So you would in effect be willing to take what could be a sizeable hit if your tenant decided not to pay and you used the legal system (your expense) to get what is legally yours and they still refuse----and set up the same scam elsewhere on another trusty?
O.K. you've got me! you are different from me (nearly said better,but can't). It wouldn't be me (as you've sussed)!
Please take it as a compliment that Sainthood awaits and NO I am NOT being sarcastic there!(y);)
Oh,by the way,out of our crowd/team we have 2 doctors/2 ambulancemen/1 lawyer/2 teachers/2 software engineers/2 contract managers-local authorities/2 accountants/1 metullargist/2 went to army plus 2 to navy/then there's me-but they're still the best bunch you can meet,no airs or graces!
Jimbo

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So you would in effect be willing to take what could be a sizeable hit if your tenant decided not to pay and you used the legal system (your expense) to get what is legally yours and they still refuse----and set up the same scam elsewhere on another trusty?
O.K. you've got me! you are different from me (nearly said better,but can't). It wouldn't be me (as you've sussed)!
Please take it as a compliment that Sainthood awaits and NO I am NOT being sarcastic there!(y);)
Oh,by the way,out of our crowd/team we have 2 doctors/2 ambulancemen/1 lawyer/2 teachers/2 software engineers/2 contract managers-local authorities/2 accountants/1 metullargist/2 went to army plus 2 to navy/then there's me-but they're still the best bunch you can meet,no airs or graces!
Jimbo
Jimbo,

A very interesting list of associates in your team but why exactly are you telling me about them? I'm as confused about that as I am your interest in my golf kit.
Take care.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not going off on tangent, but if memory serves me right. People that live in social housing. Does any money from the council that pays for rent go directly to the tennant and it is then up to them to pay the home owner. Am sure Ave heard this is where problems can arise as some tenants are not passing on the money.
My wife works in housing benefits for the local council and it is usual for the housing benefit to go to the tenant. In certain circumstances it can be paid to the landlord but this has to be asked for. What a lot of people don’t understand is that the council does not pay your rent . It pays an amount of benefit based on your income and circumstances. This may be less than your rent liability and it is up to you to pay the difference. A lot have difficulty understanding this and wonder why they get into rent arrears

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My wife works in housing benefits for the local council and it is usual for the housing benefit to go to the tenant. In certain circumstances it can be paid to the landlord but this has to be asked for. What a lot of people don’t understand is that the council does not pay your rent . It pays an amount of benefit based on your income and circumstances. This may be less than your rent liability and it is up to you to pay the difference. A lot have difficulty understanding this and wonder why they get into rent arrears
Cheers Neilds, I remember seeing a programme last year highlighting this. One of the people was a Caribbean lady with a child, she had failed to pay her rent ( in London) for several months on several properties. The council had moved her to a couple of houses over a year or so. Eventually they moved her into a single room for them both. She was complaining about her situation. It was pointed out to her, that she was where she was because of what she had done with money that was paid to her in the past and not passed on. And she had been told where she would end up. I mentioned to missis T that the landlords had bills and mortgages to pay on those properties. So there’s another side to her story. One that always not really told.
What kinda wound me up was, she said “ if the council pay for a flight ticket for me and my son we will go home to Jamaica Which will solve the problem”.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Jimbo,

A very interesting list of associates in your team but why exactly are you telling me about them? I'm as confused about that as I am your interest in my golf kit.
Take care.
You're right,was a bit weird of me .suppose I was saying that some rather nice folk came from my area,but like a lot of people don't like being messed around by wasters/spongers.
That's why I don't really get your so forgiving forbearance to someone who will quite knowingly rip you off:confused:As for your golf gear/clubs would you sell to me and not expect to be paid?
To my mind,same thing as renting out a property-if you get my point! *loves Tashys points-so true in a lot of cases*
Anyway lets move on to more vital things like when are you getting back out on the course with mates
Listen,have fun in whatever you do--if you're ever back up this way then I would be delighted to take you round not only my place but some of the mates courses-some top names in there,
will intro you to these wimps as well-no armour needed!
Jimbo

sunshine

Visit site
Folk we know let their properties through the local authority... Less returns but as they resolve any issues arising greater peace of mind...

A couple of my mates have let their flats to the local authority - the lure of guaranteed rent with no breaks was too hard to turn down. Both of them have encountered various disasters, with tenants variously failing to pay and trashing the place. As the tenants have always been "vulnerable" people, very hard to move them on.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You're right,was a bit weird of me .suppose I was saying that some rather nice folk came from my area,but like a lot of people don't like being messed around by wasters/spongers.
That's why I don't really get your so forgiving forbearance to someone who will quite knowingly rip you off:confused:As for your golf gear/clubs would you sell to me and not expect to be paid?
To my mind,same thing as renting out a property-if you get my point! *loves Tashys points-so true in a lot of cases*
Anyway lets move on to more vital things like when are you getting back out on the course with mates
Listen,have fun in whatever you do--if you're ever back up this way then I would be delighted to take you round not only my place but some of the mates courses-some top names in there,
will intro you to these wimps as well-no armour needed!
Jimbo
Thanks Jimbo.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
A couple of my mates have let their flats to the local authority - the lure of guaranteed rent with no breaks was too hard to turn down. Both of them have encountered various disasters, with tenants variously failing to pay and trashing the place. As the tenants have always been "vulnerable" people, very hard to move them on.

Our local authority, from what my friends said, deal with all that unpleasantness...

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My daughter made the big mistake of renting her house out [ twice ], without going through an agency.
The first lot only paid a £500 deposit and a months rent up front , they were late with the next months rent then didn't pay anymore.
By the time my daughter noticed they hadn't paid anything into her account, another month had passed.
She called and asked me pop in and see what was going on, so when I arrived all the blinds were closed and no sign of life.
I knocked the door and eventually a woman answered . She apologised and gave all kinds of sob stories why they hadn't paid.
But assured me it would be paid in full next month.
You guessed, no payment came :mad:.

So back down I go, blinds still closed and no sign of life. After knocking for ages I went round the back and looked in place was empty.
The next door neighbour sees me and comes out and tells me they left a few days ago with a van load of stuff.

I was shocked when I opened the front door and saw bare floor boards in the hallway, stairs and living room. My daughter had new carpets fitted 5 months before.
All the white goods were gone cooker , fridge freezer and washing machine.
The place was a bomb site, holes in doors and walls, kids crayon drawings everywhere.

Turned out they were a family of Gypsies and caused havoc in the area, they've never been seen again.

Be warned.