Anybody rent out property?

D

Deleted Member 1156

My daughter made the big mistake of renting her house out [ twice ], without going through an agency.
The first lot only paid a £500 deposit and a months rent up front , they were late with the next months rent then didn't pay anymore.
By the time my daughter noticed they hadn't paid anything into her account, another month had passed.
She called and asked me pop in and see what was going on, so when I arrived all the blinds were closed and no sign of life.
I knocked the door and eventually a woman answered . She apologised and gave all kinds of sob stories why they hadn't paid.
But assured me it would be paid in full next month.
You guessed, no payment came :mad:.

So back down I go, blinds still closed and no sign of life. After knocking for ages I went round the back and looked in place was empty.
The next door neighbour sees me and comes out and tells me they left a few days ago with a van load of stuff.

I was shocked when I opened the front door and saw bare floor boards in the hallway, stairs and living room. My daughter had new carpets fitted 5 months before.
All the white goods were gone cooker , fridge freezer and washing machine.
The place was a bomb site, holes in doors and walls, kids crayon drawings everywhere.

Turned out they were a family of Gypsies and caused havoc in the area, they've never been seen again.

Be warned.
Just curious, does landlord insurance cover the repair/replacement costs when this happens?