Any Techies? iTunes

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I got an iPod Shuffle a few months ago, installed it on the hard drive and threw a few albums on.

Happy as.

The wife has just bought herself an iPod and the plan now is to put every album on and buy a dock for the room.

I now want iTunes and the music on the external hard drive I have and not the laptop.

Is there anyway I can move what I have from the laptop to the external hard drive without having to then go through each song and re-find where it is saved or is the quickest way to uninstall everything from the laptop and start again on the external drive?

Cheers.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Not quite sure I understand the requirement exactly. Is this because you would then have two ipod's accessing the same iTunes? You can configure iTunes to keep all of the music in one place, but create separate profiles for each ipod (your wife's and your shuffle). When you start iTunes you select which profile you want to fire up and you can edit, play the desired lists.

Here's the instructions from Apple

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1495

Note that you will want to save your existing profile before doing anything in Apple's list, I didn't and the setup blatted my original ipod settings.

If you move the music from drive A to drive B, you will need to tell iTunes where to find it, but you will still only have the one iTunes on the PC.

Hope that helps

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Have you looked at Apple Airport Express. It sends your I-tunes directly from your laptop wirelessly to your home cinema/Media amp/stereo. I had it set up at my last house prior to just moving and it was good. I had one in the lounge and one upstairs connected to another stereo.

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers guys, i'll have a look at that when I get home tonight.

I only want one itunes but want them on the external hard drive rather than the laptop which would explode.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There is probably 'a way' however how i'd do it is create a folder on your external drive, dump all the music from your laptop in there, clear your itunes library (or you'll end up with duplicate entries) and just add the main folder from your external drive to the library which will then add all albums.

Where that will come unstuck is if you've been renaming bands/songs...