Any Roofers on here?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Quick question can you re-tile a close boarded roof with tiles being fixed straight to the boards, house was built in 1980 and was tiled like this when built.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quick question can you re-tile a close boarded roof with tiles being fixed straight to the boards, house was built in 1980 and was tiled like this when built.
As you know, I'm no roofer but I would say, felt, batten and hang tiles, nailing every other row as high winds where you are. Also some kind of edging clips on sides to protect from winds. 👍

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Must say 43 years doesn't sound a very long life for a tiled roof..... has something damaged/deteriorated them? Golfmad's reply sounds best bet for a longer roof life.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Must say 43 years doesn't sound a very long life for a tiled roof..... has something damaged/deteriorated them? Golfmad's reply sounds best bet for a longer roof life.

Shetland weather had a lot to do with the deterioration,surface on some of tiles was getting worn and curling up on corners, I had 60 tiles blow of in a gale a few years ago.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Shetland weather had a lot to do with the deterioration,surface on some of tiles was getting worn and curling up on corners, I had 60 tiles blow of in a gale a few years ago.
Viewing from inside the loft, my roof looks close boarded but is actually feather edge boards (like fencing) where the tiles are hung on the feather edges. I would have thought that it would be most unusual to nail tiles directly to close boarding. There again, what do I know about building - particularly in Shetland? :rolleyes:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mine are not feather edge boards, it seems the way they do it here, it’s not the conventional way to do it though, but after taking tiles off the boards are in very good condition.