Any plumbers out there? (thermostatic shower problem)

V

vkurup

Any plumbers out there?

Our shower now only does hot water. I think/guess the thermostatic control may not be functioning. Rest of the taps are ok. I have no idea about how these work. So checking if anyone else does...

The shower controls look like this... IMG00976-20130508-0743.jpg

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If its just suddenly stopped its likely to be the cartridge inside the temperature part of that plate. Replacement is fairly cheap and very straightforward to fit.

V

vkurup

If its just suddenly stopped its likely to be the cartridge inside the temperature part of that plate. Replacement is fairly cheap and very straightforward to fit.

It was fine on Friday.. came back after the bank hol on Tuesday and it just spits out hot water. In my naive view, the taps should be simple mechanical devices and therefore dont have any 'cartridge' to be replaced. We put the bathroom about 6 years ago.

To replace the cartridge, do I need to take the whole setup or can I do it without having to reach behind the cubicle (it is fully enclosed, so will struggle). Finally is it something a novice DIYer can do or need to get a plumber in?

Also, how/where do I get a replacement cartridge and is it a standard one?

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It was fine on Friday.. came back after the bank hol on Tuesday and it just spits out hot water. In my naive view, the taps should be simple mechanical devices and therefore dont have any 'cartridge' to be replaced. We put the bathroom about 6 years ago.

To replace the cartridge, do I need to take the whole setup or can I do it without having to reach behind the cubicle (it is fully enclosed, so will struggle). Finally is it something a novice DIYer can do or need to get a plumber in?

Also, how/where do I get a replacement cartridge and is it a standard one?

As big slice said, if you can find out the make and model either look on the net or go to a plumbers merchants and just order the thermostatic cartridge. The handle are probably on with a small Allen key somewhere underneath them. Take them off, then pull the over plate off. The chrome body covers should unscrew to expose the cartridges. Once the water is shut off, you will need and adjustable spanner and they will unscrew and pull out. Then just do the reverse with the new one.

You may need to calibrate it once the new one is in but I can talk you through that once you find one.

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The make is Hudson Reed which is your starting point, if you can shut off the water to just that shower take it out and post a pic on here.

V

vkurup

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Haha thanks. Yeah you probably can do it with taking the plate off but unless its silicones to the tiles it will make it easier for abit of space. Get the cartridge off eBay if you want to save a few quid, merchants will be a lot more expensive. Good luck, feel free to drop me a pm if you need any more advice.

V

vkurup

Just a question (out of curiosity).. why does the cartridge wear out? I expected it to just be a mechanical device rather than a 'consumable'

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No reason really, lime scale, washers etc. they could last 20 years or 3 years. Just luck of the draw really I'm afraid.

V

vkurup

No reason really, lime scale, washers etc. they could last 20 years or 3 years. Just luck of the draw really I'm afraid.

Is it possible for me to just take out the cartridge and give it a wash to take the limescales off (say in some descaler liquid) and put it back? Saves a ton of money..

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it possible for me to just take out the cartridge and give it a wash to take the limescales off (say in some descaler liquid) and put it back? Saves a ton of money..

I suspect that it will be a sealed cartridge and not able (some once broke are broke and need replacing) to or worth the hassle, source online for cheapest.

RoryRich

Visit site
Sorry for bringing this one up from the dregs, but did you ever find out what cartridge goes in this model, I have the same shower valve as the one in the OP's message.

V

vkurup

Sorry for bringing this one up from the dregs, but did you ever find out what cartridge goes in this model, I have the same shower valve as the one in the OP's message.

Our handman got one off ebay and it did the job for us.. Cost us circa £90 for the valve plus labour. We have since moved and another shower in the new house has sprung a leak and most tradesmen recommend getting it off ebay as local stockist dont seem to carry the valves

BTW, welcome to the forum,,

Last edited:

RoryRich

Visit site
Our handman got one off ebay and it did the job for us.. Cost us circa £90 for the valve plus labour. We have since moved and another shower in the new house has sprung a leak and most tradesmen recommend getting it off ebay as local stockist dont seem to carry the valves

BTW, welcome to the forum,,

Thank! :D I've not had a chance to get out on the course this year as I've had a bad leg injury from football but hopefully I'll be fit in a months time. Do you have a picture of what the cartridge looked like by any chance, or the model of the shower?