Any electricians out there.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just changed a security light at home. Old one, the sensor was gone no was tripping the house fuses. Anyway. The cable to the light is four core. And all cables were connected to the light block. They are Red, blue, yellow, and an earth sleeve placed over the earth cable.
Now the new security light from screwfix is idiot proof not Tash proof. I have coupled up as follows. Red/live to live, blue/ neutral to neutral. And I have put the yellow and green sleeve earth into earth. The other end of the three gang block is just pins so as soon as you put the light plate onto the back plate which is screwed onto the wall Hey presto. The light works a treat.
However, the security light is connected to three other lights on the patio and they now do not come on. So what do I do with the fourth/yellow cable that I have taped up and is now redundant. How do I get the security and three lights to come on together.
No fuses have tripped in the house, and the security light is on a switch fused socket so turning that off turns off power to that unit.
Cheers me dears.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
That yellow isn’t earth mate so take it out, I’d need to have a proper think about it when I have time to give a proper answer though.
What’s the make and model of the light you fitted?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
As beezerk says disconnect the yellow, it ain’t an earth. Don’t suppose you took a photo before disconnecting the old one?
The yellow might be a loop switch line to the other lights... Previously did the one security light bring on the others or do they have their own movement detectors?

Tashyboy

Visit site
The yellow cable is not coupled into anything, at the moment it is taped up and dead. I think it is a loop switch line, but I would be guessing as to whether it goes into live or neutral.
Didn't take any photos and guess which hairy faced plank took the 4 gang block off the old light to reuse the block in another forty years.
The security light did bring on the other three lights. When the security light came on so did thre three lights.

The light unit itself is a LAP, 2 X 950Lumen LED light from screwfix.

Cheers boys.

Tashyboy

Visit site
It sounds like you should think about getting a man in who can. Electricery does more than tickle.

As it is, am more than happy to leave it, the light comes on as per the book. But the added complication is the three lights coupled into the circuit. The power is easy to isolate when working on the light. But I don't want to go into guessing mode of where to put the yellow cable. Getting it wrong then resetting fuses around the house, then resetting times on everything ( which is Missis Ts job and she is Xmas shopping in Liverpool helped by copious amounts of Gin no doubt).

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there a manual light switch which controls them all? I can’t find the light in question (can you post a link) so I’m guessing the yellow wire is a switched live as already suggested. This will need linking to the other lights I imagine and may go through the light switch. Dunno without some proper details mate.
I think Bunkermagnet is shite hot at this domestic stuff, wait to see what he has to say.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
As it is, am more than happy to leave it, the light comes on as per the book. But the added complication is the three lights coupled into the circuit. The power is easy to isolate when working on the light. But I don't want to go into guessing mode of where to put the yellow cable. Getting it wrong then resetting fuses around the house, then resetting times on everything ( which is Missis Ts job and she is Xmas shopping in Liverpool helped by copious amounts of Gin no doubt).

Drop one of the other lights, see if it gives you any clues. If they were slaved off the old light the old light would have had a 4th output terminal. Your new screwfix fitting would not.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Is there a manual light switch which controls them all? I can’t find the light in question (can you post a link) so I’m guessing the yellow wire is a switched live as already suggested. This will need linking to the other lights I imagine and may go through the light switch. Dunno without some proper details mate.
I think Bunkermagnet is shite hot at this domestic stuff, wait to see what he has to say.

The manual switch is a fused switch, cable goes from switch through the wall outside. The cable goes into a box on which two other cables are coupled into. One cable runs to the three lights. The other cable runs to the security light.
Looking for a link.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well the manual doesn't help 😂😂😂

So the other lights are normal lights then?

The yellow on the new light is a live output from the pir which sends 240v to the other lights. The other lights have three cables yes?
Yellow from the new light goes to brown on the other lights, blue to blue earth to earth etc.
So when the pir is activated the lights come on, essentially its acting as your light switch.
Does that make some sense?
Obviously we don't know exactly how yours is wired so unless it's fairly obvious I'd get someone in to look.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Unfortunately B, there is no cables coming out of the unit. It is just three pins with live, neutral and earth stamped at the side of the pins, I have a yellow on the cable which is spare

So in essence Beezerk on the PIR, earth to earth sign, blue to neutral sign and red and yellow to the live sign 👍

Tashyboy

Visit site
Well that was crap. Turned on the power and the all lights came on, but when the PIR light went off the three lights stayed on 🤔

On a positive ave still got all me fingers.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well that was crap. Turned on the power and the all lights came on, but when the PIR light went off the three lights stayed on 🤔

On a positive ave still got all me fingers.

Tash read my post #9 again and check in the old light (if you still have it) if it had an extra “output” terminal.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Drop one of the other lights, see if it gives you any clues. If they were slaved off the old light the old light would have had a 4th output terminal. Your new screwfix fitting would not.

Now then F and D, just had a look at the old light. It was an old twin halogen light. From both lights there was a yellow and green cable and two white cables.
From the back of the unit inside the light housing, there is blue, red and yellow and green cable. These were coupled in a four gang block which I took to bits. 😖

Just had a play with the PIR light, put the yellow cable in with the live/red cable. All the lights came on, but when the PIR went off, the three lights stayed on.
Then tried putting the yellow in the neutral and the PIR came on but the three lights did not.

Conclusion, don't think this PIR light will work with the four cables I have on a three pin light unit. Looks like going back tomorrow. Bogged off coz normally I write down what was where on a piece of paper so I can refer back to it.

Cheers mah man.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you for the mention, but I’m a domestic appliance engineer, and only normally play with my own house writing as and when I need to.
Very pleased you remembered I did something domestic and electrical:)

From my own expierience it sounds to me as if this lone yellow wire could be the slave feed for the other lights, but the trouble I have found is that unless you take a close note of how something like a security light is wired it can leave you befuddled when changing a unit over to a new one.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just had a play with the PIR light, put the yellow cable in with the live/red cable. All the lights came on, but when the PIR went off, the three lights stayed on.
Then tried putting the yellow in the neutral and the PIR came on but the three lights did not.

Conclusion, don't think this PIR light will work with the four cables I have on a three pin light unit. Looks like going back tomorrow. Bogged off coz normally I write down what was where on a piece of paper so I can refer back to it.

The lights stayed on because you put the yellow cable in with the constantly "live" red wire, the yellow wire should only be live when the pir is triggered.
From the sounds of it you're right, what you bought doesn't have the ability to switch other lights lol.

Did you go to the Screwfix (think it's new) near the brand new Greggs at Mansfield Woodhouse?