Any computer Techies among us?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Evening all,

Just need a couple of questions answered if possible....
Seeing as i ditched sky iv decided to get a decent internet provider instead which i think will at least give me a decent chance to watch the golf and the rugby on my laptop...

I v went with a local company here at home...UPC....Its Fibre Powered Broadband....I have a 500GB download limit and its 25MB speed...
Is this good...I got it for 40 notes a month with a free cordless phone thrown in which has a decent amount of perks with no line rental...I dont even have to use it if i dont want.It was cheaper to get that with the deal...

Is 25MB good i will be downloading the odd film but im mostly interested in watching the live streaming for the golf....

2nd question is i have a HP Pavilion Laptop here and its in great nick but i cant seem to get it going full..When i turn it on i get 1 long beep with 2 short beeps and a black screen...
I dont know enough about computers to chance doing anything myself but from searches on the net it seems that it could be a hardware issue with a graphics card..

Thanks in advance for the replies ;)

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep. That'll be plenty quick enough. Not a fan of download limits on broadband though. 500GB is a lot, but it can soon add up if you're streaming a lot of live TV.

Can't comment on price as you use funny money. I pay £18 a month for a service which gives me 10Mbps download speed and is unlimited....so I don't know if you can use that to compare?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep. That'll be plenty quick enough. Not a fan of download limits on broadband though. 500GB is a lot, but it can soon add up if you're streaming a lot of live TV.

Can't comment on price as you use funny money. I pay £18 a month for a service which gives me 10Mbps download speed and is unlimited....so I don't know if you can use that to compare?

Cheers Pal....Well i wouldnt be doing heaps of streaming...Mostly just the golf if it has gotten my interest....Im kind of lost without it since i started boycotting sky :(

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
For one person using the net you can get away with 3-6 Mbs.

With each additional person in a house on at any one time then you need more and more speed.

I do mainly online gaming so download speed is not all I look for, I also like to have a good upload speed too.

BT had a great balanced deal for me 4 down 2.5 up. My current virgin one is 10 down and only one up! It is terrible compared to BT depsite being more than twice as fast! The router is also terrible in comparison as is the general quality of service.

A lot more to consider than the marketing departments of these companies would like us to think there is!

Last edited:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
For one person using the net you can get away with 3-6 Mbs.

With each additional person in a house on at any one time then you need more and more speed.

I do mainly online gaming so download speed is not all I look for, I also like to have a good upload speed too.

BT had a great balanced deal for me 4 down 2.5 up. My current virgin one is 10 down and only one up! It is terrible compared to BT depsite being more than twice as fast! The router is also terrible in comparison as is the general quality of service.

A lot more to consider than the marketing departments of these companies would like us to think there is!

This is what i get for 40 euros a month SB.

What do I get?
Dedicated support team available to assist with many of your broadband and computer issues.
25Mb downstream; 2.5Mb upstream
FREE wireless router (applies to new Broadband customers only)
24 hour online connection - no time restrictions
No telephone line required
500GB usage limit.
Up to 15 email addresses
300MB web space

As well as the phone....

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
My m8 has 100 Mb and pays £50 per month with no limits so your deal is pretty crap in comparison.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is what i get for 40 euros a month SB.

What do I get?
Dedicated support team available to assist with many of your broadband and computer issues.
25Mb downstream; 2.5Mb upstream
FREE wireless router (applies to new Broadband customers only)
24 hour online connection - no time restrictions
No telephone line required
500GB usage limit.
Up to 15 email addresses
300MB web space

As well as the phone....

How many people share that? Sounds like an OK ishfor a family of four. Except for the download limit, very strange in these modern times!

Last edited:

RobCowan

Assistant Pro
www.carrobes.co.uk
Sounds like it's a Cable broadband connection rather than the traditional copper wire ADSL connection. Good if you can get it, but if you were in a Virgin cable area over here (like Andy's mate will be) they are literally chucking capacity at you.

For your intended use of watching live streaming, you will have no issues at all with this connection - most live streaming requires a minimum of 2Mbit, although you need more to watch an HD stream comfortably.

With regards to your laptop, one short & two long beeps is generally graphics related and there is a known issue with HP laptops (perticularly the G5000 range, but not limited to them) where the location of the graphics chip inside is right where all of the CPU heat goes past, so basically it melts the solder holding the graphics chip on and you lose the ability to boot it. Best advice would be to take it to a reputable PC repair shop (not PC World, and definitely not "Uncle Bob's back-street PC Repair and bookmakers emporium!") who should be able to either effect a repair or tell you whether it can be claimed under warranty from HP. Just be aware that if it is repaired, there's no 100% guarantee that the repair will hold for any length of time because it doesn't fix the underlying cause.

Hope that helps.

RobC.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like it's a Cable broadband connection rather than the traditional copper wire ADSL connection. Good if you can get it, but if you were in a Virgin cable area over here (like Andy's mate will be) they are literally chucking capacity at you.

For your intended use of watching live streaming, you will have no issues at all with this connection - most live streaming requires a minimum of 2Mbit, although you need more to watch an HD stream comfortably.

With regards to your laptop, one short & two long beeps is generally graphics related and there is a known issue with HP laptops (perticularly the G5000 range, but not limited to them) where the location of the graphics chip inside is right where all of the CPU heat goes past, so basically it melts the solder holding the graphics chip on and you lose the ability to boot it. Best advice would be to take it to a reputable PC repair shop (not PC World, and definitely not "Uncle Bob's back-street PC Repair and bookmakers emporium!") who should be able to either effect a repair or tell you whether it can be claimed under warranty from HP. Just be aware that if it is repaired, there's no 100% guarantee that the repair will hold for any length of time because it doesn't fix the underlying cause.

Hope that helps.

RobC.

Cheers Rob ;) Thanks.